seat latch

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
jesshamner

#1 Post by jesshamner »

Am I the last one with a stock seat latch? I finally lost mine after 4 years. It actually caused me to stop pushing for the front of the pack at the last race. Off the start I was in the top 10. I passed a couple riders going up a hill about 3 miles in and when I sat back down, I was on the gas tank. I had to stop and go back to get it. Then I finished the next 2.5 laps sitting down. I will add that this is the roughest race course I have ever ridden.

Anyway, I need to fix my seat before the next race in 2 weeks. What are my options? I know there are some LSR seat latches out there but I'd rather not have to pay that much for one. What are you all doing to fab up your own?

I did a search but there are no pics. Pics would greatly be appreciated.

wright

#2 Post by wright »

put the stock one back on and drill a hole thru the plastic nob and put a zip tie on it around the frame.

zacke22

#3 Post by zacke22 »

i made one out of an old road sign aluminum piece...its kinda like the lsr one...i used a pin type latch system...

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

Actually, I don't have it any more. It finally fell off. My knob seized to the brass fitting that is in the seat pan when I first got it. After that, I would just screw the brass fitting in and out of the plastic. It worked really well for about 3 years. The brass fitting wouldn't let it slip through the subframe so I always had it with me if it came out of the seat. I guess the brass fitting came loose finally and I lost the knob.

I don't want to go with a similar style seat latch if I don't have to. It was a pain to screw that thing on and off all the time. What happened to that classic Cannondale inginuity on the day the engineers worked on the seat latch? That has to be the worst design ever.

ZACK, pics would be great!

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Here's a a simple way to never lose your seat bolt. It's a stainless threaded knob that doesn't seize so readily in the stock seat thread. The nut is loctited with about 1/2" of thread exposed, and it just dangles there forever. For replacing the bushing, I've been using a high bite stainless insert.

But since your bushing is gone, and the plastic threads are probably ovaled too much, that may not be worth replacing in your case. Instead, you could try some 5/16"" threaded rod seated into each downpost (or bolts with heads cut off). Then, you can use flange washers and wingnuts to get the squeeze you want, or drill the bolts for a thru-pin on each side, like some guys have done (pics were on here at one time,... but probably gone now).

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

Yeah thats what I remember people doing Dave. The studs coming out of the plastic downposts (as you call them). I might try to do that and use some pins. I'm never going back to the knob.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

The stud and hitch pin method does work great . attach the pins with a cable tie so they dont become lost and your good to go.

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

What kind of studs are you all using?

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

I just instal a long bolt in each plastic pin and cut the head off with a cutoff wheel where I want it. The drill 2 small holes for a hitch pin. Takes about 5 -10 minutes.

zacke22

#10 Post by zacke22 »

ill get you some pics as soon as i can...lol...i guess i better learn how to get them on here...