engine cradle

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

I agree with the shims.But when you actually bolt it in the frame you can see it move.Not much you can do about that.My original cradle wasnt that bad but the new one was about a 1/4in gap at the motormount.When bolts holding cradle in frame were tightened that gap narrowed to less than 1/32.That is alot of tension.

quadpoor

#22 Post by quadpoor »

haydug
it does have the motormount update but, there arent any shims. I will get some washers for reassembly. I have had the drain neck on my ex oil tank welded and not had any problems for over a year now, so it looks like another trip to airport welding is in order.

Kos462

#23 Post by Kos462 »

my cousin just broke his cradile on the left hand side and my buddie welded it for him, and he welded my frame in two spots, from what i understood aliminum isint a penatraten weld that he had to heat it up and grind like a little ditch where the crack was and weld it and i had no probs since, my cous just won the overall down in georga in the stock class with his cannonbomb and the overall

pdavis

#24 Post by pdavis »

as with welding ANY type of a crack, the crack must be groved out and a hole must be drilled at each end of the crack (a 1/4" hole would be fine) if there is no hole drilled, the crack will re-appear
i am not an aircraft welder but i weld on aircraft tubing tongue.gif

thomez

#25 Post by thomez »

I don't think it is wise to just start welding on a heat treated, tempered frame. You just weakened the whole area around it by getting it hot...

Swamp'Dale is the man on this stuff. I wonder where he has been... :confused:

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

Like I said Thomez I dont think the cradle was heat treated or if it was it didnt do any good.Frame I would never weld.

thomez

#27 Post by thomez »

Yeah, I was talkin bout the frames. The cradle, if not treated, should be alright though, if done properly.

quadpoor

#28 Post by quadpoor »

I talked to the welder today and he was talking about putting a small gusset on the front of the cradle at the corners. Would this hurt anything? I cant see why it would but cannondales are a new world to me.