Anyone tried painting the plastic

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
floatingjimi

Anyone tried painting the plastic

#1 Post by floatingjimi »

Has anyone tried to have the complete plastic set repainted, if so , what primer and paint have you used and to what degree did it work out. I just have to explain it to someone over here to get work done if the outcome is favourable

cdrookie

#2 Post by cdrookie »

the best thing to do would be take it to a auto body shop and have them do it. unless you know someone who does that type of thing. you need a flex agent added to the paint or it will chip and flake. krylon makes a rattle can paint that suppose to bond to the plastic. i've heard mixed reviews but nobody said it was fabulous.

TheJaspMan

#3 Post by TheJaspMan »

Fusion is the name of the paint made for plastic. We used it on several diffrent things now.

If you follow the directions, and make sure the surface is reallt clean and dry it sticks impressivly well.

For example, we painted a plastic chair for outdoor use. That was a year ago and beyond throwing it around and bending it harshly the paint has held up very well.

It's about $7 a can and done right you are going to use 2-3 cans for the rear fenders. And it will take about two weeks to finish.

You clean everything, paint it. Then let it harden for 7 days. Then do it again. You can speed the process up, but we have seen mixed results.

floatingjimi

#4 Post by floatingjimi »

Many thanks guys, judging by the number of viewings I think ther are a number of people wgo are interested in the answers. I think I am going to be a chicken, have contacted doug at TSS and also atv seat covers. com. I am going for a full martini racing style, just like early 70 porsche's for the body and fenders.
thanks again

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by floatingjimi I am going for a full martini racing style,

huh??? don't race like you're drunk, people tend to get mad when you run into them!smile.gif smile.gif

floatingjimi

#6 Post by floatingjimi »

Sorry early 70's silver porsche at le mans had a very cool martini racing livery, mind you the way I ride at the minute, I might be better drunk!!

TheJaspMan

#7 Post by TheJaspMan »

mmmmmmmmmmmm, martini's :drink:

02Cannibal

#8 Post by 02Cannibal »

I painted my spar covers red using the Fusion paint mentioned in this thread. It's not an exact match but close enough. I'll let you know how it holds up.