Powdercoating our frames?

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
Dale512

Powdercoating our frames?

#1 Post by Dale512 »

Would it be safe to have our Aluminum Frames Powedercoated? I heard the they are heat treated, would a PC job mess up the heat treatment and make it brittle? I think I saw somebody with a PCed Sub-Frame, I dunno if the Sub-Frames are heat treated also or not

Thanks

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Sub Frame is able to be powdercoated, but the main frame can't because it is heat treated. Also I think it would cause the bike to run hotter if you did the main frame, because the oil runs through it.

fourwhls

#3 Post by fourwhls »

When powder coating, you only heat the parts to 400 degrees. This temperature will in not affect the microstructure of the aluminum.

I am not ceratin what grade aluminum our frames are made out of, but using 6061 T6 the temperature range to harden the alloy is 960-1010 degrees.

The coated surface might slightly affect the thermodynamic properties of the aluminum and slow down the heat transfer from the oil to the air, but not enought to matter.

In other words, you can PC the main and sub frame of the bike.

Redman

#4 Post by Redman »

The thing with aluminum is that it is a softer material, so it might flex a bit to much for powdercoating. I work in a fab shop and powdercoated my swingarm for a 250R. it worked and looked good for a little bit, but it chipped off quite easily. Pay the big buck and anodize it.smile.gif

4punksdad

#5 Post by 4punksdad »

Originally posted by Redman
The thing with aluminum is that it is a softer material, so it might flex a bit to much for powdercoating.  I work in a fab shop and powdercoated my swingarm for a 250R.  it worked and looked good for a little bit, but it chipped off quite easily.  Pay the big buck and anodize it.smile.gif

it is my understanding that aluminum flexes less than steel. it is softer, but more rigid.

cdale127

#6 Post by cdale127 »

if the part was pc'd correctly it should flex with the chassis or whatever part you have. shock springs are pc'd...i do them all the time. the main frame is heattreated and cdale doent recommend pc'n them. anodizing is an option except that the steel inserts for the bolts holes would have to removed.

Dale512

?

#7 Post by Dale512 »

Could those inserts be taken out and put back in?