anybody ever try different plastic on a dale

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
NRath

#91 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 17 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only negative to a aluminum tank is they crack eventually.Might be a long time or might be right away but to prevent cracks you end up with a tank heavier than stock plastic.

Only if it's in tension in some way. Ours only have 2 mounting points, just need to figure a way to make them "floating" mounts and cracking wouldn't be an issue. Allow the frame to flex around it and it should be pretty safe. Maybe a single semi-rigid mount in the front center instead.

dvrack

#92 Post by dvrack »

I would rather cut the plastic instead of cutting my tank, I wish I could find the pic of the 400ex plastic on a dale somebody had done years ago the newer ex plastic doesnt look bad.

SlOoT

#93 Post by SlOoT »

That picture is in this thread somewere.

First I will find a YFZ seat, when that kinda fits on stock fuel tank I will cut the plastic on top.
If it does not fit at all I will make a new fuel tank.

jesshamner

#94 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (dvrack @ Nov 19 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would rather cut the plastic instead of cutting my tank, I wish I could find the pic of the 400ex plastic on a dale somebody had done years ago the newer ex plastic doesnt look bad.

Go to post #35 in this thread.

dvrack

#95 Post by dvrack »

I though that was photo shopped, any idea if the seat worked?

jesshamner

#96 Post by jesshamner »

Nope. I asked Haydug about it. He acutally did one and he had the other in his shop at one time or another. He gave me a few details but when I replied back with specific questions, I didn't get a response. I hope to try it one for size tomorrow. I have 2 sets of rear plastic right now. One with and one without the seat. I would like to use the seat too if I can. We'll see how it goes. I do know that one of the sets that Haydug had, the front piece was strapped on instead of bolted.

jesshamner

#97 Post by jesshamner »

Well, I played around with it today. Most of the mounts are close so it doesn't look too hard at first glance. I didn't have the sides so I really can't do much. What I did notice was that the pics of the conversion that I had posted earlier seem to be either on a 250r conversion subframe, or they have cut the stock mounts off the top of the subframe. It is sitting a lot lower than what I could get it. I noticed a couple of things upon looking it over and this is what I found. The tab on the 400ex plastic that usually mounts behind the tank may not work because our tank seems to be further back. There is some room to play with where the front needs to be mounted but I may have to do some work to the ecu tray to get it just right. Also, the plastic seems to lay pretty flat when I put it on today but I'm not sure that is how its going to fit because I don't have the side panels. I attached pictures just to show you what it looked like while playing around today.

311racer

#98 Post by 311racer »

I know the person that has the 400ex kit for the cannondale. He might even sell it, because he doesnt use it and rides a yfz now.

jesshamner

#99 Post by jesshamner »

At the very least can you get some answers for me? Pics would be better. And a price (if its right) might work too.

My questions are
1) Is the stock gas tank used? Haydug told me that one had a different tank.
2) Any mods to the subframe?
3) Can the 400ex gas tank cover be used?
4) Is this a 250r kit with 400ex plastic mounted to it?

311racer

#100 Post by 311racer »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Nov 22 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the very least can you get some answers for me? Pics would be better. And a price (if its right) might work too.

My questions are
1) Is the stock gas tank used? Haydug told me that one had a different tank.[color="#FF0000"][/color] it stainless
2) Any mods to the subframe? yes to the stock one, but is very weak and broke after first ride. Was replaced with a chrome alloy one.
3) Can the 400ex gas tank cover be used? yes
4) Is this a 250r kit with 400ex plastic mounted to it? No