Plastic Paint does it work?

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
Nickc711

#1 Post by Nickc711 »

Anybody herd of the new plastic paint that is supposed to somehow combine with you plastic and actually mix with the top layer of plastic and change its color.... I also saw some krylon spray plastic paint.. anyone ever tried ether..

MyCannibal

#2 Post by MyCannibal »

tried the krylon plastic paint...i was real impressed with the way it turned out but it scratches real easy..no matter how many coats u put on....looks nice till u go to put the plastic back on then u got scratches everywhere.....never heard of the other paint..they make such a thing?

CHAINSAW

#3 Post by CHAINSAW »

Its called Krylon fusion, and in my opinion its junk. There is no tried and true way to paint plastic, and make it stay. ATV plastic just takes to much abuse, and is not made to have paint adhere to it, no matter how much prep time you put into it (unless its a show bike that just puts around if anything)

MyCannibal

#4 Post by MyCannibal »

agreed.

big.elk.hunter

#5 Post by big.elk.hunter »

As an Auto body refinish technition (painter), I will try my best to explain Painting plastics:
The key to getting paint to stick to plastic is getting it clean!! and Im not just talking about soap and water. when the plastic part is created, it is formed in a mold. and to get it out of the mold they use what they call mold release agent. It gets impregnated in the plastic because the plastic is porous. You need to use a good quality "plastic cleaner" to clean the plastic, and remove as much of the mold release agent as possible. then you need to scuff or sand the plastic to acheive mechanical adhesion. I usully sand and use degreaser(meguiars) together. then reclean with the plastic cleaner. I use RM 902. then because when you scratch the plastic and try to paint over it the scrathes swell, you should prime the plastic with a flexed Primer first. then you need to sand the primer smooth, and paint(according to the paint manufacturers reccomendations). make sure to use flex additive in the topcoat also.
If you thing about how many cars out there have plastic bumpers and trim on them and that the paint sticks to them(usually). then there is no reason why you cant get paint to stick to your atv plastic!! It just takes the right products and know how.

heres another one that i painted!!

heres another one that i painted!!

Nickc711

#6 Post by Nickc711 »

the paint stayed on those banshees?

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

Sure that paint holds up in the dunes. What about some woods riding? I painted my headlight covers and they have held up well. Of course, they aren't getting scratched, rubbed, or flexed as much as the rest of the plastic. I'm also going to try the front numberplate soon. I expect it to yield lesser results.

big.elk.hunter

#8 Post by big.elk.hunter »

Well, the thing about paint is.....it is paint. It does have its limitations. If you are riding through brush and trees, rubbing against things and really flexing the plastic, then you would be better off to not paint your plastic. but if you do a lot of dune riding or stick mostely to the trails and want to be careful with your plastics, then it will hold up fine with the proper preperation.

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

By the way, your paint jobs are sic! Nice work man.

big.elk.hunter

#10 Post by big.elk.hunter »

thanks!! here is a pic of my dale if you have not seen it yet.