Cracked Frame

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
2000ex

#1 Post by 2000ex »

I was going over my race bike today and noticed that I had snapped off the lower subframe mounting tab right off the frame. Has anyone else had this happen? I am thinking welding it back together, as it is cast directly onto that lower cast section. Any ideas?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Yea you have to weld it.I saw one break after getting rearended by another quad.His weld job has held up for 2 years now.Probably will lose some strength but what else can you do.

Sandstorm

#3 Post by Sandstorm »

Mine broke. Do not weld the old piece back on. Make a new one out of some aluminum and grind the frame down flat for the new piece to sit flat on. Then weld it up. Drill the hole first before welding it to the frame.. I tried welding the old piece on twice. Broke with in months. The new fabricated piece has held up for 3 yrs..

2000ex

#4 Post by 2000ex »

I would guess that may be a better option. Welding cast to cast does not seem like it would be the best route for strength.

I may try getting a small piece of billet and weld it like the top subframe mounts. Right now I JB welded it on for this weekend's race...I would imagine it will crack off with the first hard hit, but I need to salvage some points.