Making your own radiator guards

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
Blackwidow440

#1 Post by Blackwidow440 »

I have been thinking of a way to keep my radiator clean during the race and I race in harescrambles and there are many racees where my radiator is just completly packed with mud. I have created a way to make all that go away. first you need to find some wire mesh. I used the mesh that is used for construction stucko. If you would like to know how to do this please email me at Aridryfy450r@aol.com this will really help you guys and girls out alot.
Adam

wayneschofield

#2 Post by wayneschofield »

My son pointed out today that our radiator leans backwards helping mud to stay on there.... A YFZ one leans forwards so the mud is more likely to drop off....

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

You can add up to 1" of spacer to the top of the rad mount to help it lean forward and help with air flow.

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

I've been running wire mesh for about 3 years now. It works great. I drilled some holes in the stock shrouds and ziptied the mesh as far away from the radiator as possible to allow air flow even if the mesh gets caked with mud. I also have a piece of mesh between the 2 front frame rails just behind the bumper. It has worked great so far. The only problem I have was dust collecting after my quad had puked oil. My radiator rarely has mud of any thickness on it.

Blackwidow440

#5 Post by Blackwidow440 »

yes, I have only been running with the wire mesh for almost a year and I went up to Unidilla,New york for a GNCC race and the track was very muddy in some areas and at the end of the race I looked at my Radiator and there was barely any mud on it but there was alot of mud on the mesh on the side. I dont have any wire mesh behind my bumber because I race with a number plate that is the same size as my bmper. it is amazing wat simple things can do for your quad.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

Ha ha, yeah. I keep forgetting about the numberplate. I still have the mesh on there but I am running a number plate too so now its redundent.

Blackwidow440

#7 Post by Blackwidow440 »

jess hammer do you race in harescrambles.

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

I haven't lately. But yeah that is my race style of choice.

This is my partner's quad after a buddy race that we did. You don't see mine in the pic because all that mud was caked onto my radiator and I overheated. The quad was still out in the woods at the time of the pic. This race was the reason I made my own mud screen.

Here is a pic of my quad after the Sparta GNCC mudfest a few years ago. I have been in this situation a few times since I have had the mud screen and I have had no problems until just recently. I think I mentioned that problem in a previous post. The point is, the mud screen did its job for years.

Blackwidow440

#9 Post by Blackwidow440 »

wow that is some nasty mud.

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

Its soooo much fun racing in it but it sucks to clean up afterwards.