CF skid plate

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
jesshamner

#1 Post by jesshamner »

Would this be strong enough for the abuse of xc? I just saw one for a 450r. It might be something cool to look into especially after the weight saving conversations that have gone on around here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRX450R-Car...1QQcmdZViewItem

Item number: 220172520685

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

carbon fiber is strong but not flexible. probably wouldn't hold up in my opinion.

What part of the quad are you looking to protect? And what kind of protection? Just scraping the bottom or rocks going though the case?

I may have something smile.gif

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

It doesn't have to be flexible. Aluminum skids aren't flexible. The link is to an ebay auction for a belly skid.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I think for MX it would work since really they are used more as a slide plate to keep tubing from digging into loose ground.A rock would do it in though.

peterock

#5 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Nov 15 2007, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't have to be flexible. Aluminum skids aren't flexible. The link is to an ebay auction for a belly skid.

I guess I should say impact resistant. For some reason I see landing on a sharp rock and the entire CF skid cracking. But it is only $.99 right now so not too big of a loss if it does. Try and see if it works.

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

Don't even think about that, Jess. It would never hold up. 27 is on track. I wouldn't expect it split in half, but it would be in bits after a hitting a few rocks. I'd agree that for MX, it would probably be great.

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

Hiper wheels are cf right? Well, they seem like some sort of composite actually. And our swingarm skid is plastic. Couldn't the skids be made out of the same material as Hipers?

I'm not planning on trying it. I don't have that kind of money. But since moutain biking is now one of my hobbies, it has me thinking about weight. I know a little here or there isn't going to help all that much, but it all adds up. I mean we buy stuff for bikes that shaves grams. Does it really make that much difference on a bicycle?

The way I see it, I'm less tired after riding a blaster because I can man handle it through the woods. I guess it could have something to do with the lack of power, but a lighter quad would be less tiring. So how can we drop weight? I know it gets expensive, but I think its going to eventually move in that direction.

If we have a cf axle, we can have a hollow cf steering stem. Bicycle guys are also using cf handlebars. Maybe a cf seat pan? cf handguards? cf or titanium bumper and grab bar? Axis titanium shocks. Assorted Ti bolts. Ti a-arms. cf ecu tray. Just some things that came to the top of my head.

peterock

#8 Post by peterock »

Get your hands a chunk of elevator apron plastic (I believe that is what it's called) from a farm implement store. Anyway it's about 1/4" thick and comes in white or black. Cut to size and strap to the bottom. I had this on my hybrid for 2 years before I sold it and it works great. Extremely light and durable. It's somewhat flexible and thicker so it doesn't crack like a lot of stock plastic skids you see.

I have a chunk in the garage yet, I'll have to see if I can put one together to show you what I'm talking about.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Nov 15 2007, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hiper wheels are cf right? Well, they seem like some sort of composite actually. And our swingarm skid is plastic. Couldn't the skids be made out of the same material as Hipers?

I'm not planning on trying it. I don't have that kind of money. But since moutain biking is now one of my hobbies, it has me thinking about weight. I know a little here or there isn't going to help all that much, but it all adds up. I mean we buy stuff for bikes that shaves grams. Does it really make that much difference on a bicycle?

The way I see it, I'm less tired after riding a blaster because I can man handle it through the woods. I guess it could have something to do with the lack of power, but a lighter quad would be less tiring. So how can we drop weight? I know it gets expensive, but I think its going to eventually move in that direction.

If we have a cf axle, we can have a hollow cf steering stem. Bicycle guys are also using cf handlebars. Maybe a cf seat pan? cf handguards? cf or titanium bumper and grab bar? Axis titanium shocks. Assorted Ti bolts. Ti a-arms. cf ecu tray. Just some things that came to the top of my head.

Ahh if only money were no object!Sounds like my own personal dream list there.Wieght makes huge difference in feel of a quad.Especially on any suspension or moving parts.I will never forget first time I rode a Walsh 250r TT quad.LESS than 250lbs!The difference between that and my MX250r was unbelievable.

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

Don't forget your own waistline in your quest for lightness. Eating less also saves money on groceries and toilet paper. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but some guys spend soooo much money on horsepower and forget to hop on the bathroom scale once in awhile. Back to the topic, Pete, make that plastic skid. I'm done with aluminum. Jenni has had a plastic one on her honda for a year now and I haven't had to touch it. Here old aluminum ones were always rattling loose and being a pain in the a$$.