CF skid plate

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
wayneschofield

#21 Post by wayneschofield »

Oh yes, I forgot the Ti cross-braces under the seat.....

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats a very conservative goal Wayne.With what you have planned should be well under 330lbs.I will guess about 300lbs.

jesshamner

#23 Post by jesshamner »

If you are going for very light, why are you keeping the headlamps? Might as well get rid of those too. You could also try some bicycle carbon handlebars. They make some very wide and sweeping bars that are close to our quad bars. How about the steering stop at the bottom of the stem. Alloy or Ti might make it a little lighter too.

wayneschofield

#24 Post by wayneschofield »

I haven't decided on bars yet, if I bought them now something better will come along for sure, and the steering stop is in the list above... CNCd HE30 alloy.... Carbon cycle bars sound nice though..... maybe something for my Christmas list.....

I am keeping the lights because, despite eating lots of carrots, I can't see in the dark. The lights I have are actually heavier than the stock ones but they are so much better. PIAA make them, there is a post about them somewhere. They really are superb, and the bulbs don't shake to bits.

I am guessing on the 150 kg weight (about 330 lb). Bearing in mind it will be 'fully dressed' at that with everything working just as original and will have a good number of other functions too, such as flat shift, gear indicator and variable intake length system (hence the need to change to a different ECU). Much will depend on the rear axle finished weight, something I am keen to lighten as much as possible.

I would like it to be, technically, the best 'Dale in the world, but then I bet everyone likes their own best don't they? I doubt it will be the most powerful as I have not gone for all out power. I reckon 60 bhp should be doable with 498cc mild porting, my cams, variable intake and dyno developed exhaust. Driveability is very important for the way we ride. It probably won't be the lightest quad either because I am keeping stuff that is essential to the way we ride such as lights, a good-sized battery and full bodywork.

Part of the reason for using a lot of Ti is because of it's corrosion resistance, we often get home late covered in wet mud and need to clean them in the dark. I would be happier leaving the cleaning 'till I can see what I am doing in the morning.

thedeatons

#25 Post by thedeatons »

The FMF Ti pipes are only considered usable for one season of racing, that is what they sell them as anyway. I have noticed this with my two, they are both cracking around the frame mounting tabs...

Do you guys think that a set of Easton carbon bars would work on a quad that gets ridden hard on ruted sand and jumped regularly? I have Easton Superlite carbon bars on my 23lb Gary Fisher Sugar mt. bike, and I love them, plus a lifetime guaranty!!!

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

I just saw a video of some downhillers on a wicked course with some huge doubles and insane speeds.If they can survive that I cant see why they wouldnt on a quad.Since its lifetime warrantee anyway how would they know what its on?

jesshamner

#27 Post by jesshamner »

Go for it! Let us know how they hold up.

wayneschofield

#28 Post by wayneschofield »

They all seem a bit narrow where the stem clamp is, plus the reinforcement inside the bars is only in the centre. Our steering stem clamps are much further apart than the reinforcement.

The top of my steering stem is machined from HE30 and I haven't glued (!) it to the carbon tube yet so I could re-do the bar clamp design to suit the narrow-style bars I suppose....

As if I don't have enough to do.... I'm going to HAVE to do it now aren't I......?

Has anyone measured the rise and rake/spread angles on our bars?

thedeatons

#29 Post by thedeatons »

They would know by the clamping marks on the bar... Easton is very specific about the way you torque their bars, and they will void a warranty if they are overtorqued.... Wonder if they would be wise to the different clamping pattern?

thedeatons

#30 Post by thedeatons »

Nope, no measurements, but I can tell you that you will NOT want to use the Monkeylite SL bars, as they are too narrow (although perfect for me on my mt. bike).... The Monkeylite XC should suit you fine, and you could probably match the rise to the Moto Tag bars, so they are a race-style aggressive lo-rise. Older Monkeylite bars (plain design with yellow label) are cheaper than the new ones, as in $55 per bar usually!