Stock Heel Guards?

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
Nickc711

#1 Post by Nickc711 »

I have ac racing nerfs, they do not have heel guards. Are stock heel guards my only option?

Riding without heel guards can be scary!

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

The Moto and Blaze heelguards were just cut from stock baskets, with the lower profile shaped to rest on the Nerfs.

But that has proven to be a POOR setup -- after running the quad for just a few hours, those baskets would wear a distinct groove into the aluminum Nerfs!

Then, when a guy may eventually take them off to use something else, he exposes two deep and ugly grooves on each side! It was a bad setup to have the baskets just lay on top of the nerf bars, and grind away like a chainsaw file.

After I found some sets of rare Moto/Blaze Nerfs over in Holland, I set out to improve the basket mount, while keeping the stock appearance. I came up with using HD Galvanized gate straps, downbolts, etc., as a means to firmly float the baskets ABOVE the Nerfs instead,... just to help preserve the last few sets I have sold.

That same method should work with other Nerf bars, if you may want to try the stock baskets. Since you may have to die-grind a new lower profile anyway, you can start with Cannibal or Speed baskets.

Hacksaw830

#3 Post by Hacksaw830 »

QUOTE (Nickc711 @ Mar 16 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have ac racing nerfs, they do not have heel guards. Are stock heel guards my only option?

Riding without heel guards can be scary!

Hey boomer do you have a couple of pics of this heel gaurd, where you could see the entire gaurd?

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

Here's one for now:

MyCannibal

#5 Post by MyCannibal »

now thats nifty Dave...cool.

2000ex

#6 Post by 2000ex »

Has that thing been ridden? cool.gif

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

Hah yep,... I guess by now it has. But that one was used when I acquired it in 2005, and then delivered it to a customer more than a year ago, after a total rebuild here. It's amazing how a Cannondale can be brought back to New & Better with enough parts and TLC. The aluminum frame will really help us to keep them looking fresh for a LONG time I expect.

....re those boosted heelbaskets, you also have to trim and re-drill the upper hole tabs a bit lower -- but cDale usually had those rear holes a bit skewed anyway, and it's a good time to correct that common rear-fender strain at the basket bolt. We've seen too many baskets and precious rear fenders cracked, just from ill-fitting footbasket bolts, or mis-bent wire supports. It's like you have to doctor every one with backing fenderwashers, or bending the tabs, or moving the holes to prevent cracking.

But you still gotta love em!, and marvel at what those Cannondale guys accomplished in such a very short time. These machines are the best.

SlOoT

#8 Post by SlOoT »

Another problem with the stock heelguards is the way they are mounted. The steelwires are not strong enough, they snap when you accidently lean on them to much.

To solve this I have made these (picture) for the heelguards, and also welded a mounting point onto the nerfs to keep the basket from rubbing into the nerf.

It also stopped the heelguards from cracking all over the place.

The second picture is of my dads quad, he has threaded the steelplates instead of nuts.

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

Sloot, lets talk about those tie rods I see in the second picture. Are those working out well, and what exactly are they?

SlOoT

#10 Post by SlOoT »

Ah, those are actualy from a car, only right hand thread though. I have them on my Cannondale for 3 full MX seasons and are starting to get some play now, but the rubber seal is also damaged and dirt got in.

They are much better then the stock ones and will last much much longer.

We welded a left hand thread section on a pair also so we could use them on both ends of the tie-rod.

When Dave was in Holland we sold him a pair of those and also a very nice pair of ball-joints...
Those ball-joints are still tight after 4 years, including 3 full seasons of MX.

To use those ball-joints you do have to get M32 thread tapped into the a-arms.