Polyethylene Belly Skids

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
2000ex

#11 Post by 2000ex »

Sounds like there is some interest. What would you guys want, I could take two routes.

1. A no frills basic skid with cheap hardware and mounting setup with non powdercoated mounting brackets
2. A much better designed skid with recessed mounting holes so the skid is completely flat on the bottom and the heads of the bolts are countersunk. It would also feature nice powdercoated brackets high quality fasteners.

Obviously the cost would be higher for option #2, however it will still be far less expensive than an aluminum or other quality polyethylene units that are well over $100

MyCannibal

#12 Post by MyCannibal »

I'd be down for one too...option number two.

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes option 2.Dont need powder coated brackets though.Just spray them or maybe that rubber dipping?

2000ex

#14 Post by 2000ex »

The powder actually would be easiest for me. About 5 years ago I ran a small PC shop and still have my guns and a small kitchen oven I use for small parts. Faster, cheaper, and better finish than spray bombing. I will be ordering the materials here today.

2000ex

#15 Post by 2000ex »

***Update*** first prototype has been completed and installed.

Need several weekends of harsh testing, but I am initally thinking of going with a .250 inch for even better durability. The mounting setup is very durable and simple to install. A lot of the setups I have seen for belly skids are a PITA to put on yourself. All mounting holes are countersunk and harware is a tapered head stainless 3/8 inch large philips head bolt so it fits completely flush with the bottom. The nuts will be stainless nyloc to prevent them from rattling loose. There will also be a drain hole in the left rear of the skid for either running your lower spar drain hose when doing an oil change or when not in use for that... it will allow water and mud to drain out easily. I will post pics after I put it through the paces.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool.Looking forward to it.

ljdbn

#17 Post by ljdbn »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 31 2008, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool.Looking forward to it.

we'd be interested in two of the "option 2" skids.
I haven't had alot of luck with aluminun....we XC race ..thanks

moto440

#18 Post by moto440 »

hey 2000 any news on these? got any pics of the proto? love seeing your quads anyways there sweet!!!

2000ex

#19 Post by 2000ex »

I can snap a few pics and the prototype that is 3/16th's is holding up great! I just took it off the machine to look at it and make a few changes to the mounting setup. For the ones I will be producing I will go with a thicker 1/4 inch plastic to further increase durability. I just dont want to make a bunch of them without testing them myself in a few xc events. If all is well after my 9/13 event I will start on people's orders.

Thanks for asking and the complements on my bikes.... I just picked up Dale #6! I have issues. I guess picking up orphan Dales is my calling smile.gif I think speed450mx and I are having a collection contest

Blasterboy11

#20 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Id be interested too, im actually getting custom skidplates made by a friend, these sound promising...