Frame Welding

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

Is it a big deal to weld the tabs back on that the headlight brackets mount to? I have broken the front one off on both sides. This is where the fullbore bracket attatches. For now I just moved the bracket to the back tab, but when that breaks I'm screwed, and I'm not crazy about the chassis ground wire being kind of in the mix if it does break off while jumping. Anyone know what happens if that wire breaks or comes loose while riding? Does it just die? I'm always afraid to experiment with electrical things...

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

That's awesome and so true..........

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Cannondale put out a bulletin about that. If not running the headlights you have to keep the brackets and bolts in. All three If front ones are still working here is what I did:

Get a piece of threaded rod long enough to fit through both left and right side tabs. I used a piece from a old trophy.
Drill the threads out of the tabs big enough to fit rod through.
Thread two nuts onto rod
Put rod through one tab from inside moving nut in enough to get other end in enough from inside also.
Center the rod and tighten the nuts each against the inside of tabs
Get two more nuts

Its the same principal as the engine mount update.
That wire grounds the relay. All I know is if its off charging voltage will be low.

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 25 2009, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cannondale put out a bulletin about that.If not running the headlights you have to keep the brackets and bolts in.All threeIf front ones are still working here is what I did:

Get a piece of threaded rod long enough to fit through both left and right side tabs.I used a piece from a old trophy.
Drill the threads out of the tabs big enough to fit rod through.
Thread two nuts onto rod
Put rod through one tab from inside moving nut in enough to get other end in enough from inside also.
Center the rod and tighten the nuts each against the inside of tabs
Get two more nuts

Its the same principal as the engine mount update.
That wire grounds the relay.All I know is if its off charging voltage will be low.

Funny we where just talking about this. LOL

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Yea a little late for Roger though!

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

I ditched the headlights a long time ago, and took the brackets off. The problem comes from the fullbore plastic mounting to just one of the frame tabs. Apparently too much stress. So can I just weld some new tabs on without stripping the whole fricken thing down?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I wouldnt chance it. Frame is really thin there and oil is in there on right side for sure. Not positive on left. What you could do is make a bracket similar to headlight bracket that sits flush against frame and bolts to the two remaining tabs. Third hole in new bracket could replace old broke one. Which side broke? I could make something for you Roger.

UpsMan

#8 Post by UpsMan »

The forward tab on both sides has broken. I am now using the rear tab on both sides for the mounting bracket. I'll have to take a picture to show you what I mean. It might take a day or so.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Oh thats good!Just make the support rod like I explained and you will be good.Front tabs the rod would hit steering stem.

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

I really don't understand this "support rod" thing. I think I am really missing something here.