black fx400 plastic?

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
jesshamner

#1 Post by jesshamner »

I picked up what I thought was black plastic but it could be painted. The front has the half fender and holes for the mudflaps like the fx400 had. I'll post pics if needed.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

To identify it as FX400 plastic?,.....there is no oval recess for the front Cannondale badge emblem.
if FX?.....and not painted but true black?,....that would be a rare one-of-a-kind I think.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

it does not have the oval.

2000ex

#4 Post by 2000ex »

PICS!

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Also, rear FX plastic will not have the left side recess for the warning label.
A scratch test underneath should reveal FX red or gray.
...drum roll please, if all black?...wow

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

There are some scratches on the top that show some silver. I guess it is painted. I was hoping that something silver rubbed off on it. I'll scratch it underneath to see for sure. If it is paint it looks pretty good. The plastic is thick and pretty rigid which is the early style (I think.) I'll post pics when I get home. So should I use them or save them? Is there anyway to salvage the gray underneath? Or should I just ride with them and touch when needed?

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Kind of a bummer but not really . You should be able to use paint stripper on it without trashing the plastic but I would test a spot first.

NRath

#9 Post by NRath »

And all the edges are a little more rounded. Those are definitely FX. And unfortunately painted. At this point, I don't know that stripping is the best plan. All depends on the prep that was done. I'd assume that it would've been scuffed all over for good adhesion. But maybe not. No telling what somebody did. Looks pretty nice as is, though.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

I would say if it doesn't fall right off then they did some sanding prep work.