Krylon Fusion Paint? PC Plastic Renew?

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
CannondaleRider

Krylon Fusion Paint? PC Plastic Renew?

#1 Post by CannondaleRider »

OK, I have a set of FX Plastic (Rear fender has a hole :mad: ) and its in slightly bad shape, and Krashs plastic may have a few problems(but I doubt he cares). So I was wondering if anyone knew if the PC Plastic Renew stuff works good.

And another thing, I have 2 front fenders, 2 rear fenders, and 1 set of headlight covers coming from Cycra, Of course the fenders are red. I have always wanted black plastic, but it will be to expensive for me(refer to dougs black plastic for sale in the for sale forum) So has anyone tryed the krylon fusion paint? Good? Bad?

cdaleracer

#2 Post by cdaleracer »

From experience. I have rushed it. And I have done it right. One lasts, the other looks like crap inside of a week.

Here you go.

If you are going to use Fusion it is not a quick process if you want it to last. Here is a typical process that WORKS and LASTS.

1. Take the plastic and rub it lightly with some 200 grit sandpaper. LIGHTLY, otherwise you will leave deep scratch that will show.

2. Clean the plastic really well with a tack cloth. Then use brake cleaner in the folds and bends to get any grease and grime out.

3. Use a good cleaner with amonia or rubbing alchohal. Something that will not leave a film.

4. Put on the first coat as more of a speckle job. Do not try and cover everything on the first couple of coats. Make them thin. And do at least three coats to cover the whole thing in the first 24 hours. But not to close together.

5. Let sit AT LEAST 5-7 days to harden and dry. Then apply another coat or two.

6. Wait until the tack is gone on the final coat you apply. And then use a clear arcrylic coating. Do not get very close to the paint when using the clear coat. Always stay a foot back or you will cause an 'orange peel' effect. I like to spend 2-3 days with the clear coat. Usually about 2 cans for the rear and 2 cans for the front.

7. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! After it dries for a couple of days. Put it in the tub and wet sand LIGHTY with 1500 grit paper. You must wet sand! It will make the surface very smooth and slick. That helps it not to chip and does not give place for mud to stick and make it start flaking. Be very careful on the edges, those are the first place that it's gonna chip.

If you take your time with Fusion and do it right, you can get some fantasic results. And with the cheap price of red and about $20 of Fusion and clear coat you can have any color you want.

I'll post some pictures in a couple of days of some plastic we have done. It held up in the woods for a full season.

CannondaleRider

#3 Post by CannondaleRider »

Good directions, Thanks. Looks like I have black plastic smile.gif

Gloss black? Satin Black? What would look more like the stock black?

Now does anybody know about the Plastic Renew stuff.

guthrie08

#4 Post by guthrie08 »

ive just purchased plastic renew for my red plastic, it turned out great. it takes a little work sanding but worth it in the end. i can see my reflection in the plastic, thats how good this stuff worked.

speed2424

Before

#5 Post by speed2424 »

This is a pic of the barkbuster when I got it.

speed2424

after

#6 Post by speed2424 »

Same one after the Plastic Renew Treatment.smile.gif

speed2424

#7 Post by speed2424 »

I just did them so I don't know how they will hold up yet.

CannondaleRider

#8 Post by CannondaleRider »

Thats awsome.

Now if only there wasn't a **** hole in my right rear fender...........oh well, it'll be for desert anyways

KYmxracer52

#9 Post by KYmxracer52 »

What all colors can you get in the Fusion brand? What brand of clear coat do you buy? As soon as Jaspman gets my plastic for me I'll start the painting process.

TheJaspMan

#10 Post by TheJaspMan »

It comes in about 20 colors. And always use glass. You need a smooth finish or else it will scratch too easy.