Engine removal help needed

Q&A about routine maintenance.
marceb16

Engine removal help needed

#1 Post by marceb16 »

Some play by play would me awesome ond pictures. I started pulling my engine yesterday and it looks rough! How do you get the bottom half of the air box off? It looks like if I get that out of the way (which I will have to at some point) I will be able to work a whole lot better. Do you have to remove the entire engine to do the stage8 upgrade or can I just remove the frame rails then loosen the swing arm bolt and let the engine pivot? Will that give me enough room so I don??????????????????t have to remove a whole lot of wires and hoses and ultimately remove the side cover? I just don't want to screw this thing up. I want to leave as mush alone as possible...know what I mean. Also what needs to be done to the Battery tray and how do I Know what all needs updated on my quad? I want to fix it all while I have the engine out so my mind can be at ease for a while. It is a 2003 Cannibal with 30hours on it or so.

atvrulz

#2 Post by atvrulz »

Dude,
I was in your position in the beginning of the spring. I needed to install the stud update kit in my dale moto. Prior to this, the most i have ever done to an atv is change the oil. Inserting the stud update is major surgery to your quad. You have to remove the entire engine from chassis in order to install the stud update kit. I labeled every hose going into the engine with a sharpie and masking tape. There are only a thousand hoses going into engine. Remove bolt securing swing arm to chassis remove fan, radiator. Use a strap to go around chassis and in between motor and bottom plate. and lower engine this way. There is a great picture on R&S performance website.
There is alot of info on this webite about installing stud update kit.
good luck

marceb16

#3 Post by marceb16 »

Thanks I tried R&S earlier today but the site was down. Did you check your valve cover when you had the engine out? I hear there is a pitting issue. I'm not sure where to look but I want to while the engine is out ..Any ideas?

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

I replied to you on Cannondaler.com. Let me know if you have any questions

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

C'daler appears to be down, so I can't see what Lapper wrote.
IMO, there really isn't that much to it. The first time, it's more intimidating than it is difficult. You'll need a few tools, in-lb torque wrench, snap-ring pliers, and some sockets and wrenches. While your at it, you'll want to go ahead and check the valve clearances, too(you'll need feeler gauges for that).
As a primer, I'll tell you that the engine has to come out. You could probably do it without pulling it, but it would be much more difficult to do the job right monkeying around with it hanging in the quad. You won't need to take the airbox out to get the engine out. You'll definitely have to pull the radiator, personally, I've never taken the fan out and haven't had much trouble. Leave the sub frame attached- it makes a great jack point(add floor jack to your list!) and stand for the motor when it's on the bench. Once it's on the bench, you'll have to take the water pump off to get the valve cover off, so you're going to see the pitting you asked about. Then, you'll be able to take the side cover off to work on the stud problem. You'll want to have a new side cover gasket on hand. Other than that, it just takes some time.
If your seriously ready to dive in, let us know, we'll offer more! Any person with a few tools and some common sense can do this.

marceb16

#6 Post by marceb16 »

Thanks a bunch guys! I dropped the engine out last night. The part that took the longest was labeling everything. All and all it wasn??????????????????t so bad (except the exhaust nuts). I am a bit concerned about routing the lines and wire in the same places once I go to put the engine back in. Any pictures you my have of where these things are suppose to go and where to zip them up would be great. I just don??????????????????t want anything rubbing or touching the wrong thing. I plan it start opening her up tomorrow. What for gaskets will I need to do both the stage8 upgrade and inspect the valve clearance and for pitting. Is the only thing that I need to look at with regards to pitting the valve cover or is there more? Is it just the outside of the valve cover where the water pump is? Also where can I get shims if needed and what am I to do if I find Pitting? Thanks for all you help! rolleyes.gif

fyrmedic

#7 Post by fyrmedic »

what I did was use my digital camera and took pictures everytime I took something off.. helped a lot!! I've had it out twice now, and am ready to do it again to do valve adj. fortunately, I have an early 02 model engine and checked the studs and no probs.. but while I have it down I think I will do the stage 8. If you need some of the pics I took just let me know.

marceb16

Thanks guys

#8 Post by marceb16 »

I want o thank all of you that replied to my post and gave me suggestions about removing my engine. With your help I was able to complete the job with minimal worry. All and all it was not as bad as it looked. My stage 8 kit is installed the motor mount upgrade is in but I did run into one snag. The Valve cover was pitted only after about 30 hours on the bike (see my ****** photos). I could not find a replacement cover so I was forced to JB the old one and wish for the best. The engine is now back in the bike with Evans coolant installed and has about two hours on it. Everything looks good so it off to the woods this weekend. Thanks again for all the advise and guidance.
biggrin.gif