overheating??

Q&A about routine maintenance.
I need a cdale

#1 Post by I need a cdale »

So i went outside today to give the dale some attention because i havent ridden it since i lifted my xj and i rode for like 2 min and noticed that the thing was extremely hot. I pulled it over to my garage and the pipe was cherry red and did cool down for a while. i know at night you can see the headers glow but when i mean cherry it was bright as ****. Does anybody know what could cause this?

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

A flywheel starting to spin would be my first guess. Second would be fuel system starting to clog. Fuel strainer ,filter,quick connects. All quick and easy checks.

MyCannibal

#3 Post by MyCannibal »

too lean?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

How did it run?Was idle higher or lower than normal?If real long it could even be bad gas.

peterock

#5 Post by peterock »

Sounds like it was running too lean. Either wasn't getting enough fuel as mentioned or you have an air leak.

I need a cdale

#6 Post by I need a cdale »

so what would be the first and easiest to check. ill do it by process of elimination.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

First I would throw the gas out. (put it in lawnmower) then look at your fuel filter when its running. If there is gas pooling in it rather than just going through or it is going up and down you have restriction or pump issue. Then check your throttle body boots. Use a mirror. Move them around. Make sure they aren't cracked and it's seated correctly.

I need a cdale

#8 Post by I need a cdale »

Well I got another problem before I even touch the overheating topic. I tried starting it today and it wouldn't run. When I was pressing the starter it would start and as soon as I let go of it the thing would just die out. I just wanna ride the ******** thing.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Did you read the posts above? You may have a air/fuel issue which would probably be the reason it's not starting now.........

MyCannibal

#10 Post by MyCannibal »

possibly could have a fouled plug now also...throw a new plug in there, a fresh map with stock settings and an idle adjustment, throttle cal and you should be good to go...unless there is restriction in fuel flow somewhere which you could fix as mentioned above...you need to be patient with these machines...