Flushing out coolant ?

Q&A about routine maintenance.
exrider

Flushing out coolant ?

#1 Post by exrider »

I need to refill my coolant and wanted to switch to evans (im not sure whats in there now) do i have to flush whats in there now before i can put the evans in? or can i just mix it ? If you have to how would i go about flushing the old stuff out? Thanks

CdaleRacer0128

#2 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

i'm pretty sure you drain that coolent outta the drain bolt, and out of the radiator, then fill it up with water and flush the system ( probably let it run for a couple minutes) then fill it up with your new stuff evan's or engine ice; both work great. that's what i did and no problems yet..

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

Best bet is to buy a gallon of Evans, use the first half gallon to flush the water out of the system, use the second half gallon to fill it back up, and you are good to go with no worries of any water in there. That is what you want to eliminate, any and all water in the system. Flushing with water probably doesn't help that out much.

exrider

#4 Post by exrider »

drain bolt ?? where is the drain bolt located for the coolant...thanks

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

ROFL. Boy, you need help! Look at the bottom of the radiator.

Do you have a manual that came with that thing? If not, download the manual, it is a big help. Tells you how to do normal maintanance and how much fluid to use.

TheJaspMan

#6 Post by TheJaspMan »

Don't forget the purge bolt on the intake mount on the engine.

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

After the complete draining of existing coolant, you can use a much cheaper product called Sierra coolant to flush your system.
It will absorb the residual water, but is one of the very few products that is compatible with Evans NPG+. Use it 100 percent, run it till warm, and drain again. Then add the Evans NPG+. You can buy Sierra almost anywhere -- it's the low-toxic propylene glycol stuff. No, Evans does not like water, and water is a considered a contaminant! The Evans is packed in cases of 4 gallons...but I see each case has only 1 instruction manual 8 pages, only 1 "Warning -- do not add water" sticker, and only 1 Evans decal. When you buy it from a local source, ask for all that stuff -- it's probably accumulating in the back room!