First Oil Change

Q&A about routine maintenance.
ABM-CANNIBAL

First Oil Change

#1 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

I did my first oil and trans. change this weekend and all I can say is **** that's some work. I took off all the plastics, followed the manual, drained the left,right spar, motor drain plug. How do you guys do it? Do you have to do the spars? Let me know, maybe next time I can save some time. This was one of the best things to do to really get to know your dale.

Ryanstones

well, you don't have to take off the plastics!

#2 Post by Ryanstones »

that'll save you a few steps smile.gif

did you check the rear filter? under the exhaust header? That one needs to be checked initially, and then maybe only when the tank is off for a spark plug change.

Probably takes me 45 minutes to change both oils. I'm slow.

ABM-CANNIBAL

#3 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

No I didn't check that one. It was getting dark so I just put everything back together. The main reason I took off all the plastics is to look over everything and give it a good cleaning. Lately I been smelling antifreeze and found out that the hoses off of the ressivior were loose and leaking. What color is evans or water wetter. I had green fluid so it looks like it is time to put some Evans in.

Ryanstones

just had to see her naked huh?

#4 Post by Ryanstones »

You've probably got an aluminum valve cover on your machine, so you can use the green stuff with no corrosion problem. I'm sure the other stuff is better but not required.

you need to go through and check bolts and torque on the engine cradle, shocks, and sprocket bolts and everything else to! Use Loctite on any loose bolts.

ABM-CANNIBAL

#5 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

Mines pretty close to yours in Vin # Ryanstones. Would you ever upgrade to the 1000 computer or do you like the 500. She is so sexy naked. Just need to polish or powdercoat the frame.smile.gif

Ryanstones

#6 Post by Ryanstones »

I might switch to the 1000 sometime in the future if i can pickup the parts cheap.
The biggest drawback of the 500, to me, is the sharp on/off hit of the throttle body. The 1000's are smoother. I just run alot of cable free play to minimize the effect.

ABM-CANNIBAL

#7 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

I wish I could ride another Dale to see the difference. There isn't to many around here. I thought I had the only one, but someone told me that they saw one and drove it. At least with the 500, you can really hand people their A$$ when you drag race.:w:

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

You buggers!I miss my original motor!Had to mod mine to beat the old power.