Oil Drain Umbilicals

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Canniboomer

Spar Drain Lines Kit

#1 Post by Canniboomer »

I've modded both of my Quads significantly to reduce the time required for routine maintenance. The slickest so far are these spar umbilicals for quick draining and NO MESS. Don't you just hate the oil seepage down and around the spar fittings? Anyway,
these are installed to each spar one time only, and never loosened -- you simply open the lower end of hoses for complete and faster drainings, and can even put adapters on to assist with the occasional full-frame flushing. Note the pics, and how they are stowed with zip-ties. The don't move around at all during riding.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Another pic same side

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

Left side

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

Almost done

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

I needed to finding the same type of fittings and convert to full-open, and use oil-rated hoses and oil-rated rectorseal teflon. This particular set is 1/4" left and 5/16" right to match 'dale fittings, but I will be making new kits with 1/4" both sides, so the same 2 wrenches work each side. Shipped cost is about $30 with a couple bucks to the site here.. Let me know if you want a set or two, and maybe I can batch produce to lower the cost. Kind of a pain to make just a few sets, and now using oetikers both sides.

Ryanstones

#6 Post by Ryanstones »

Hey 'boomer, did you know there is a 'K' in your floor?

Very cool mod for the drains!

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

It took me a while Ryan I thought you were nuts, but I see it too!:drink:

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

Now that I look around more, I'm seeing more letters that spell some nasty words! Good thing I didn't use a wide angle!

fyrmedic

#9 Post by fyrmedic »

LOL. Thats funny!! Must have had an angry floor installer!!

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

...note how each umbilical dangles above ground level...with a wide pan, you can drain both at the same time, and they won't interfere with skidplates or nerf barfs.

When draining, it's revealing to see the first several inches of clean oil from the dead-zone near bottom of hoses, and then followed by your "used" oil -- kind of an instant before/after video of your oil's life.

And, if in a "real" hurry, or between heats, you could do a quickie 1-quart-only change of just these 2 spars -- probably less than 5 minutes, and most of that is getting to the filler hole. For me, no more complaining about oil changes, and scratching up the clutch cover with a small wrench so many strokes (what a pain), or sending another grime-collecting layer of oil down the frame.

Combined with C27's tranny-filter-spring-plug mod, and anti-sieze every time on the motor drain plugs, there is really no more to complain about -- OK, the engine inlet filter -- that's next!

...and who out there is going to solve the sparkplug access challenge?!!, or have you found it yet?