Mobil One oil

Q&A about routine maintenance.
MI_CDALE_Rider

#11 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

I was at the auto parts store today and it appears that Mobil One "Red Cap" is 15W50 weight. Isn't that a bit heavy for cdales? The dealer I bought mine from preached 10W40 synthetic only??

smile.gif

cdrookie

#12 Post by cdrookie »

i'm a green and blue capper. green in the winter, blue in the summer. i wouldn't use 15w 50, but i wouldn't be afraid to.

MI_CDALE_Rider

#13 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

I think the Green cap is 10W40 what is the blue cap?

cdrookie

#14 Post by cdrookie »

green is 0w30, blue is 5w30, i think. maybe it's green 5w30 and blue 10w30:confused:

HouserCannondale

#15 Post by HouserCannondale »

you guys are worried about the oil being too heavy?? i use straight 40 wt in the motor
redline 40 wt
and tranny superlight shockproof
I change after every 4 races or every 4 race weekends.
all I do is race.

banzairx7

#16 Post by banzairx7 »

Mobil has a motorcycle specific oil now. It's a 10W40 and available at autozone. It's not cheap at $7.99 a quart. I'm not sure how it differs from their regular synthetics. I bought it because it was the only 10-40 synthetic(what the owners manual recommends) I could find.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS...rcycle_Oils.asp

Sandstorm

#17 Post by Sandstorm »

Originally posted by 02Cannibal
These guys are right.  Most of the hype about oil is BS.  Oils with friction modifiers, generally found in energy conserving oils, can make your clutch slip.  Other than that, there is no threat to the engine.  I've been running Mobil 1 red cap since I got the Dale, and have had no ill effects.

Oil is cheap, change it often!

I used the consevative label in my stock motor that went over 200hrs and my clutch never had an issue..

Swampdale

#18 Post by Swampdale »

I have found better results with Mobile one Red cap over Amsoil Series 2000 in the dale engine, although I still prefer the Amsoil in the Tranny. I change the engine oil every 6-8hrs and the tranny every 20 hrs.

Derno. You may want to try Valvoline full synthetic in the Z. I have run this with good results in my Z and in several road bikes. No clutch slippage as compared to the Mobile one products. Valvoline Synthetic was actually developed with the help of a motorcycle road race team which uses Suzuki GSXRs exclusively.

Derno24

#19 Post by Derno24 »

Thanks Swamp Dale I'll have to check into that!

cdsracer

#20 Post by cdsracer »

I use Rotella T full synthetic 5w40 in my engine and Bel Ray 80w gear saver in the tranny. The oil consistently drains cleaner and the tranny shifts the smoothest with these oils. I have tried others and noticed significant differences...these are my preferences.

Mobil 1 and other automotive oils contain molybdenum additives which are harmful to your clutch, but the effects take quite some time to become noticeable. Also, Mobil 1 and other "synthetics" that you find in the stores are not synthetic at all, they are Type III conventional oils..."synthetic" has been deemed a marketing term and has nothing to do with the derivation of the oil. If you don't believe me, research the lawsuit that Mobil 1 lost against Castrol. Mobil 1 is probably the best non-synthetic oil that you can buy. It contains less VII's (viscosity index improvers) than lesser oils. Therefore, it resists viscosity breakdown much longer. Cheap oils turn into WD-40 after a couple of hours. However, if you are looking for good synthetic oil, go with Amsoil, Motul, Mobil 1 Delvac 1, Rotella T, Redline etc...

The Delvac 1 and the Rotella T are meant for diesel engine use (also safe for gasoline use as indicated on the container) and are meant to be run in engines for in excess of a quarter of a million miles. They are highly resistant to breakdown and from my experience, they work quite well.

Most of these are quite expensive, but I found that Wal-Mart has Rotella T synthetic for $12.96 a gallon...great deal.

I know that many of you are Mobil 1 fans, I used to be, but I did some research and found that Mobil 1 is good, but its not the best bang for your buck. (You're not getting what you pay for.)