Mobil One oil

Q&A about routine maintenance.
banzairx7

#21 Post by banzairx7 »

Originally posted by cdsracer
I use Rotella T full synthetic 5w40 in my engine and Bel Ray 80w gear saver in the tranny. The oil consistently drains cleaner and the tranny shifts the smoothest with these oils. I have tried others and noticed significant differences...these are my preferences.

Mobil 1 and other automotive oils contain molybdenum additives which are harmful to your clutch, but the effects take quite some time to become noticeable. Also, Mobil 1 and other "synthetics" that you find in the stores are not synthetic at all, they are Type III conventional oils..."synthetic" has been deemed a marketing term and has nothing to do with the derivation of the oil. If you don't believe me, research the lawsuit that Mobil 1 lost against Castrol. Mobil 1 is probably the best non-synthetic oil that you can buy. It contains less VII's (viscosity index improvers) than lesser oils. Therefore, it resists viscosity breakdown much longer. Cheap oils turn into WD-40 after a couple of hours. However, if you are looking for good synthetic oil, go with Amsoil, Motul, Mobil 1 Delvac 1, Rotella T, Redline etc...

The Delvac 1 and the Rotella T are meant for diesel engine use (also safe for gasoline use as indicated on the container) and are meant to be run in engines for in excess of a quarter of a million miles. They are highly resistant to breakdown and from my experience, they work quite well.

Most of these are quite expensive, but I found that Wal-Mart has Rotella T synthetic for $12.96 a gallon...great deal.

I know that many of you are Mobil 1 fans, I used to be, but I did some research and found that Mobil 1 is good, but its not the best bang for your buck. (You're not getting what you pay for.)

I'm curious of your opinion on the Mobil 1 for motorcycles. At twice the cost of the mobil auto oils I'm thinking it's a much different animal. I realize your a fan of other oils but I really like the idea of being able to go to my local autozone and get oil whenever I need it.

I was reading through my friends YFZ owners manual last night. It specifically warned against using oils meant for diesel engines. I'm not sure why but thought it might have some bearing on what we use in our bikes.

Swampdale

#22 Post by Swampdale »

From Shell Lubrication:

Can heavy-duty diesel oil be used in motorcycles?

Motorcycle gasoline engines may not seem in the same league as the big displacement diesel engine under your hood, but they share some of the same lubrication requirements. So yes, in many cases, a premium heavy-duty universal oil capable of serving both diesel and gasoline engines is the best choice for your bike.
The high power-to-displacement ratio of a motorcycle engine means rod and main bearings are subjected to loads that are not normally found in passenger car engines. The valve train is also highly loaded, and requires extreme pressure boundary lubrication. The same can be said about gears in the transmission, which are normally lubricated by engine oil. Oil additives containing phosphorus protect these highly loaded extreme pressure areas (in both gasoline and diesel engines). Because diesel engines have higher loading of components, more of the phosphorus-containing additive is present than in typical passenger car oils. And with advanced catalyst systems for gasoline engines, the phosphorus content has been declining in passenger car oils.

Since many bike engines are air-cooled, and tend to be operated at high power outputs and speeds, their lubricating oil needs to be more resistant to high temperature oxidation. That??????????????????s another advantage of a premium universal oil. Another thing you want in your motorcycle is oil that has excellent viscosity control, so that with use it retains high temperature viscosity. Some multiviscosity grade passenger car oils, subjected to extreme loads, can quickly thin out. Their viscosity can drop to the next lower grade.

One last thing to consider is whether oil contains friction modifier additives. For improved fuel economy, most passenger car oils have such an additive. But the wet clutch in your bike doesn??????????????????t perform right with friction modifiers. Universal engine oils don??????????????????t have friction modifiers.

Be careful choosing diesel oils. Not all of them are universal. In addition to the API Service Category CI-4 for diesels, look for API Service Category SL.

Premium universal oils like Shell ROTELLA????????? T Multigrade are formulated for heavy-duty performance, and your bike engine has some heavy-duty challenges for oil. For optimum performance, be sure your oil is up to the challenge.

Swampdale

#23 Post by Swampdale »

This article is a favorite of mine:

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

omegas

#24 Post by omegas »

I run the Rotella T Syn exclusively in all my engines. I've noticed that no one has run tests against it.... Hmm. Are they afraid to?