1st time

Q&A about routine maintenance.
danyeo

#21 Post by danyeo »

Thankfully i already have a spare since i bought almost an entire spare parts list for the Cannibal. I was trying as hard as i could with vise grips and it wouldn't turn. Guess I'll try with the engine hot.

danyeo

#22 Post by danyeo »

I got it. Used a hammer and chisel to back it off. Glad i had a spare.

danyeo

#23 Post by danyeo »

One thing i noticed when i was changing the engine oil is that i drained it first from the drain bolt then i connected 2 rubber hose lengths to the 2 frame bolt drains and nothing came out of the hose. Then i changed the filter and then oil started slowly draining from the hoses. And it kept draining slowly out for a while and i wasn't sure if it completely drained, so with everything draining i just poured in some fresh oil to flush out the system. . Now here is where i hit trouble again, on step #11 in the owners manual of changing engine oil it says take off the clamp and hose from the oil inlet fitting and clean the inlet filter screen. After 30 minutes i gave up, i just could not get in there. How often do you guys clean that off? Every time you change the oil? It's pretty hard to get to.

LapTraffic

#24 Post by LapTraffic »

I clean this one religiously, even if i dont change the oil I like to clean THAT filter! I Love it!

Just kidding. I got it off on the first oil change, there was nothing there. After 20hrs I dropped the motor for the valve check and I checked the filter, nothing again.

Ive change the oil 4-5 times in between checks on that filter.

Its really a pain to get to. I had to cut the head off a box wrench to fit it in there. You really should check it at least once.

Pull the tank,
support the bike under the foot pegs
Dissconnect the rear shock at the top and rotate back

This should give you a little more room. I found it easier to work at it from above. A deep socket with a knuckle seems to work the best.

Good luck.

dawzie

#25 Post by dawzie »

Mine has been checked three times since May of '02. Never a spec there. It is a BIG screen. I think that is just a safty for if something got left inside or if something breaks :eek:

Redman

#26 Post by Redman »

What I do to get all the oil out at every oil change is: Tip the quad on each side. Just grab the footpeg and the handle bars and tilt. I usually get a heck of a lot more out this way.

LapTraffic

#27 Post by LapTraffic »

I think Maz on Cannondaler's mentioned compressed air to blow it out.

4punksdad

#28 Post by 4punksdad »

Originally posted by LapTraffic
I think Maz on Cannondaler's mentioned compressed air to blow it out.

not sure I would used compressed air.............most compressors build up condensation at a high rate of speed. I would not want to risk blowing any water into my oil system. I think I'll just drink a beer and watch the oil drip out slowly biggrin.gif

LapTraffic

#29 Post by LapTraffic »

I like that method much better. Im sure it was mentioned over there, but with this advanced stage of A.D.D. I cant retain anything. He could have said "Never use compressed air" and I stored it in my memory as "... Use compressed air"

Wouldnt be the first time something like that happened smile.gif

danyeo

#30 Post by danyeo »

YEAH, i like the beer drinkin method myself, after 2 Sam Adams it should be all flushed out. Thanks for the info guys. Going for my first REAL ride on the Cannibal this Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait.