Non Electric Grease?

Q&A about routine maintenance.
chigger81

Non Electric Grease?

#1 Post by chigger81 »

Ive heard I need to use some non-electric grease on my coolant cover? What is the stuff? Like a permatex sealant type of thing?

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

You mean Die electric grease?
Do you have a leak or something?

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

On the coolant cover? sad.gif

Cdale_racer_669

#4 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

wristpin access cover he means:p

chigger81

#5 Post by chigger81 »

Just a little tired the other night, not comprehending things too well. biggrin.gif But I still dont really know what Die electric grease is?

jwheat

#6 Post by jwheat »

Dielectric grease is a non conductive lubricant used where electricty is involved. I can't imagine why someone would recommend using it on the water pump cover. Unless...they were mistakingly concerned about leaking voltage into the coolant. A voltage drop into the coolant wouldn't occur at that point so no need for concern. If you're worried about voltage leakage into coolant, measure it with an VOM. .05 volts or less would be no concern. Anything more than that could cause electrical problems sure as a parasitic drain or voltage drops to critical components (computer, relay, fuel pump, ignition coil, etc.)

Cdale_racer_669

#7 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

this is half my fault lol. i heard somewhere that if the wristpin access cover is leaking u put that on the orings and it keeps it from doing that?

jwheat

#8 Post by jwheat »

Not what that's intended for. If your o-ring is not sealing off good, replace it, or you can use red RTV silicone and just rub a light coating with your finger around the o-ring surface before you install it. Don't put an excessive amount on it, because the excess can come off and cause problems.

Cdale_racer_669

#9 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

maybe i dreamnt it...i tend to dream of cannondales quite often:eek: