Dead Cannibal, help!

Q&A about routine maintenance.
daericks

yeah, it was scarry...

#11 Post by daericks »

... trust me, you don't want to be alone out in the dunes. YOU MUST HAVE a tow rope of some kind. I put a small bag of tools together but they didn't help me either.

I'm going to try to get all of the batteries cleaned up, but I'm afraid that the crank is toast... how do you know? Have any of you ever had a crank fail?? What can I disassemble to check it out?

The only glimmer of hope is that I'm taking this out to see Maz, thomez, and t he rest of the crew in April. It will be a good time regardless.

Derno24

#12 Post by Derno24 »

Ryan jumped on the next idea. I was thinking spark plug too. Check to see what # you have. Some came from the factory with cr10ek a cr9ek will rok well. Ryan and others suggest the cr8ek. I think either of these two are good.

Also take a look at the plug when you pull it out. Does it looked fouled or lean then we can go from there.

Does it turn over at all?

Ryanstones

#13 Post by Ryanstones »

I don't think you have a motor problem.
You are just going thru the typical debugging process.:eek: don't sweat it!
You've got 4 new ones in your group right? Wow! Once you get the bugs out they are quite reliable.

If your battery is now charged, will it run?
Will it crank?

Ryanstones

oops, i'm a little behind

#14 Post by Ryanstones »

Will it crank?
If so, your plug is fouled. I hope you have a 6" extension for your plug socket!

thomez

#15 Post by thomez »

He told me that it would not crank at all. Just clicks, clicks... doesn't sound good to me.

Ryanstones

#16 Post by Ryanstones »

hmmm.

kick it twice, curse it and try again tomorrow.

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

Doesnt crank? 03 model Ill bet... pull the stator cover and see if she turns over by hand. Siezed crank bearings if shes tight.

daericks

i DID crank

#18 Post by daericks »

Right when it died, it did crank. We could have let it idle forever if we wanted to. Every time we tried to put it in motion, it would stall-- even if the clutch started to grab and we would depress the clutch all the way in, it would then stall out and die. We towed it back to camp and tried to get it to go. After about 5 minutes of monkey'ing with it it completely stopped turning over. I brought it home and completely charged the battery. It then clicks away. Nothing else.

I have already pulled one plug out of the the other three monsters. I am replacing them with the ones Doug is selling (NGK R CR9EK). Spendy little buggers but I guess they are worth it. It isn't too bad. I've got to admit, it was easier than I thought it would be. Time consuming though. What does "does it look lean" mean? I know fouled is blackened or messed up gap.

Where is this "Stator" thing? Is it hard to do this test you speak of oh wise one?

EuroGOD

#19 Post by EuroGOD »

Sounds like a cartridge plate bolt to me...
I'll post later when I get home from work.

It'll be the one behind the clutch basket.

daericks if you read this before I get back into it, take off your clutch cover and take a look around.

Derno24

#20 Post by Derno24 »

Stator cover is the round cover in black. The clutch cover is the metal cover witht the big C on it. Not trying to be mean just making it easy.smile.gif