1st time

Q&A about routine maintenance.
dawzie

#11 Post by dawzie »

Glad all went well. You really have to do the tranny too though. Everytime I did both of mine they both needed it.

4punksdad

#12 Post by 4punksdad »

well.............it looks pretty clean in the sight glass..............and my dealer didn't have oil that I was sure was correct. so I passed for now. I will change it in the near future.................

dawzie

#13 Post by dawzie »

Awww - forgot to mention, I didn't relize this to this weekend when I saw mine was in wrong. There is a top and bottom on the air cleaner. The streighter edge is the bottom.

4punksdad

#14 Post by 4punksdad »

Originally posted by dawzie
Awww - forgot to mention, I didn't relize this to this weekend when I saw mine was in wrong. There is a top and bottom on the air cleaner. The streighter edge is the bottom.

LOL////////////guess I will have to check mine now...............dammit biggrin.gif

danyeo

Damm tranny oil bolt

#15 Post by danyeo »

Hey Laptraffic, i am having the same problem with the tranny oil bolt. I went out for my break in and did my 2-10 minute rides and 2, 15 minute rides. I get back to my car and i cant wait to change my oil and rip when i couldn't fit my rachet set in between the frame and where the bolts where, i guess i should have noticed that before. Some one let me borrow an adjustable wrench and i tried as hard as i could and the damm thing would not budge. So i could not change any of my oils. I did go out for another spin against what the normal break in procedure says but i took it easy and didn't romp on the motor. I go back from riding and tried again but now i stripped some of the bolt because i had a hard time getting in between the bolts and frame. I may need some help on this one!

dawzie

#16 Post by dawzie »

Have to use a 6 point box wrench. I went to sears and bought there stubby ones. They have two grades, get the better ones. If you want to go top shelf get Snap-on brand.

4punksdad

#17 Post by 4punksdad »

crack it loose when the motor is still hot. most bolts will seize up when cold, but loosen with heat.

LapTraffic

#18 Post by LapTraffic »

If yuve already started stripping it order one now.

I got mine from the quad shop, I dont know how much it cost but it was cheap.

When you get it take the quad and set it on its side and use a good heavy pair of vise grips, clamp down on the bolt and it will come loose.

Mine was pretty ragged lookin, but it came out fine. I now use never seeze every time I change the oil, no more problems

TricityCdale

#19 Post by TricityCdale »

Amen, I did the exact same thing............once.:eek: Now, Anti-sieze is my best friend!!! If I remember right, I had a ***ch of a time even with the vise grips!!

LapTraffic

#20 Post by LapTraffic »

Oh definately! That aluminum is soft, I was not sure I could get it off, It kept rounding and rounding, as Hard as I could squeeze the vise grips it just tore through. I ended up taking a mill smooth file and flattening the bolt out so it was more like this, [] instead of this, O I got it off at that point, but it was not a comfy feeling until it came out