Front Brake Issue

Q&A about routine maintenance.
NRath

#21 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (cjenkins @ Feb 27 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fluid stays at the same amount.

It seems like i've had a similar problem and I think all I did was just keep pumping on it. About the time I was ready to give up, for the 2nd time, it finally primed and started firming up. Now I've got a tool for this job-->

As an alternate, a pneumatic bleed kit is the cat's meow as long as you have a compressor. Probably works just like the Mighty-Vac. Hook it to the bleed nipple and loosen. Then just squeeze the trigger and it'll draw the fluid right out of the reservoir. It's great for replacing the fluid and bleeding.This is the one I used.

It's pretty cheap and worked very well.

Of course, you could always have a bad seal on the piston causing the problem, but I think that's pretty rare.

ozarkdaler

#22 Post by ozarkdaler »

Alright I changed the rezzy with no luck. I took off the lines at the calipers and there was a little fluid that came out at that point. The next thing to try is what UPSMAN recommended and that is clean the calipers. The piston on each off them are a .25 inches in from the back of the caliper so what I am thinking is the pistons are just stuck due to sitting. Anyone else have suggestions?

Nickc711

#23 Post by Nickc711 »

anybody know of a good bleeder tool...i have never used the tools before..i always seem them advertised though...do they work?

m_mcgranahan

#24 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi

I had this problem this fall, and no matter what I swapped I couldn't get it to bleed. I finally dug up my vaccum pump kit and it actually has a reversable pump that allowed me to pump fluid up from the bleeder valve on the calipers. (I tried pulling the fluid from the main resv. but I thin it just moved the air bubbles down a bit before they returned to where they were before! It finally worked and now I have breaks again.

By the way all this trouble for me started when I put extended front end and extended brake lines. Seems that once you loose all the fluid, it is really tough to get the air out due to the very small amount of fluid that the master cylinder puts out each stroke is not enough to get the air moved down and through the bleeder valves.

This unit in the Auto ZOne loaner tool program looks a lot like the one I bought from them. There was a toggle to switch the flow and then I put brake fluid in the little cup and watched the clear hose to make sure I didn't add anymore air to the lines.

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,85730/...g/selectZip.htm

Hope this helps.

God bless...

Mark

QUOTE (Nickc711 @ Feb 29 2008, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anybody know of a good bleeder tool...i have never used the tools before..i always seem them advertised though...do they work?

MX Quad Dad

#25 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I always have more troubles with the smaller master cylinders than the large ones, When you bench bleed a car master cylinder If you don't have a restiction on the line when you release it you can pump it for hours and not get any amount of fluid out of it. so with just pulling off the line and pumping it you probably won't get much out, you need enough restriction to unseat the check valve.

NRath

#26 Post by NRath »

Given that the lever has no pressure against it, it's not a caliper problem. If the calipers were stuck, it would have to be both of them to cause a non-functioning problem, even then the result would be a lever that was hard as a rock- not one with no pressure against it.

The problem is most likely that the master just won't prime.

Nick711- click the link ("This is the one I used") from my previous post to see one that worked very well for me. Mity vac makes a hand pumped one- MityVac hand pump- if you don't have air available. Any of these and others are availiable many places locally or mail order. They do a great job.

MX Quad Dad

#27 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (NRath @ Feb 29 2008, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given that the lever has no pressure against it, it's not a caliper problem. If the calipers were stuck, it would have to be both of them to cause a non-functioning problem, even then the result would be a lever that was hard as a rock- not one with no pressure against it.

The problem is most likely that the master just won't prime.

I agree with the first part, The second part is probably correct also but, he switched with a known good master. but this got me to thinking. You can try to bleed just the master, by removeing the line from the master the squeeze the lever and put your finger over the hole were the line hooks up then release the lever. wait a second or two then remove finger and repeat but, make sure you have a rag or some way to catch the fluid, most people know how destructive brakefluid is to finishes. I do something that probably isn't to bright. Instead of waiting the couple seconds and removing the finger, I just pump the lever and on the squeeze stroke I lighten the pressure aplied over the line hole. one day I will probably get some injected through my skin and loose a finger wacko.gif

ozarkdaler

#28 Post by ozarkdaler »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Feb 29 2008, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with the first part, The second part is probably correct also but, he switched with a known good master. but this got me to thinking. You can try to bleed just the master, by removeing the line from the master the squeeze the lever and put your finger over the hole were the line hooks up then release the lever. wait a second or two then remove finger and repeat but, make sure you have a rag or some way to catch the fluid, most people know how destructive brakefluid is to finishes. I do something that probably isn't to bright. Instead of waiting the couple seconds and removing the finger, I just pump the lever and on the squeeze stroke I lighten the pressure aplied over the line hole. one day I will probably get some injected through my skin and loose a finger wacko.gif

I done this. ohmy.gif

Speed 1B

#29 Post by Speed 1B »

Try a a little vac pump like a couple guys suggested. That is the best way to bleed the brakes and i would say it will solve your problem.

Before you try drawing the air out with the pump let it sit over night with the lid off your resi.

moto440

#30 Post by moto440 »

so what did you find out? i am having a similiar prob with the front brakes on my moto, they work but now where near as good and my raptor 700s stock, it is a stock moto front end and i put it back on the quad and assumed i got all the air out, i think the mity vac is next for it. it just doesnt have the grab, stopping power it should i rode my 700 and about put myself over the bars since the fronts grabbed so well the dale just kinda slows down a bit!!