Dead Cannibal, help!

Q&A about routine maintenance.
EuroGOD

...a few hours later...

#21 Post by EuroGOD »

OK. Welcome to your first teardown.

The problem that I suggested above is rather common and can be diagnosed and cured rather easily.
It is a well known fact that these engines, whilst being technically advanced, were assembled rather poorly from the factory. The most common found problem with assembly was found to be one specific bolt which either wasn't correctly locktited or torqued.
I'd almost put money down, by listening to your diagnoses, that this is what happened.
If you can remember back to your first thread, the words "STAGE8" were mentioned frequently...This was the reason!

The bolt in question is located behind the clutch basket at around the
10 O'clock position. From what you described, the bolt had worked it's way out until making contact with the basket hence slowing the engine.
The bolt continued to work free until it jammed the clutch basket and now the engine won't turn over...
If you have been lucky, you may just get away with fitting a Stage8 kit and re-assembling the engine. If not, the bolt in question may have found it's way south and made a mess of some other bits'n'bobs down there...

Confident with tackling this yourself? It's not that hard and many guys have done this very update themselves in a suprisingly short timeframe.
Not confident, then give haydug a call.

Let us know how it pans out and good luck.

thomez

#22 Post by thomez »

I think he plans on putting it in the trailer and bringing it to SoCal so that I have to help. It will be my first teardown as well but I'm looking forward to practicing on his so that I actually know what I'm doing while working on mine tongue.gif :head: :drink:

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

Dont forget if any bolts are loose the whole motor HAS to be disassembled to be on the safe side.

cdrookie

#24 Post by cdrookie »

before we get ahead of ourselves... chuck that thing in 5th gear and push it to see if it turns over. requires no tools, even though it works better if the plug is removed. this may sound silly but, was it making any "strange" noises before it quit running or while idleing? did you drain the oil to check for foriegn objects/parts? i'm no expert on here and it's just my opinion but this sounds like a classic electrical problem. it started spittin and sputterin then shut off correct? then it idle but not rev, correct? now it won't run, correct? hope i'm right on this one, these things are intimidating when you first get them.

TheJaspMan

#25 Post by TheJaspMan »

I was thinking it sounded like a clogged air filter until he said it no longer turns over with a new battery.

daericks

Lots to think about guys!

#26 Post by daericks »

You all have some really good advice and I will do everything I can without pulling th motor. I'm barely confident that I could change the oil again. The first time around took 90 minutes and resulted in a rounded off drain plug! I am willing to mess with it a bit since I know thomez, Maz, etc. will be there to fix my mess up. I just got back from a trip and am beat so I can't look at it tonight but I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Oh, btw, I won't take offence to you talking to me like I'm a technical idiot, because i am. Saying things like, "its the black thing with the big C on it" is exactly the kind of instruction I need. thomez can attest to this. My first project was to pull a fouled plug and I didn't have a clue how I was going to my socket down the big well! When I say I don't what I'm doing, I REALLY don't know what I'm doing!

Thanks again, I'll post what i find so maybe other people can diagnose the problem.

Once more question though, why doesn't the D&M software find any errors? Just something about the lamps, nothing else.

daericks

CDROOKIE, what do you mean?

#27 Post by daericks »

please explain to me in greater detail what you are asking me to do... just have it off and put it into 5th and then see if it will crank? I'll do it but explain to me what that would do/accomplish please.

Dan

wistech

#28 Post by wistech »

We are just trying to see if the engine may be locked up from a siezed crank bearing or cartridge plate bolt fell out. Thats why you put it in 5th gear and try to turn the rear wheels by hand . Or putting a socket on the flywheel bolt and turning it ny hand. If it is jammed then dont force it . Running it with the bolts loose will cause mega damage. Its easy to fix the cartridge plate bolts if they atre caught early.

cdrookie

#29 Post by cdrookie »

exactly as wistech said:clap:

daericks

update...

#30 Post by daericks »

Gents, here is the latest:

1) I took the battery to get it tested and it is fine. Holds a charge and all is well there.
2) I put it in 5th gear (still not sure what for) and tried to roll it. Nothing. I acted as it should if it was working correctly.
3) With thomez's help, we pulled the clutch off and took a look-see at the bolts at the back of the clutch. They all seemed to be tight. Everything looked as it should.
4) The engine will not crank, click, or make any noice whatsoever at this point.

I think I have done everything I can short of taking the motor out and checking the crank. If you have any other idear's, let me know. Worst case scenario is I let Maz, thomez, and the other experts take a crack at it in three weeks in Cali. Thanks again for all of your help, it was certainly a learning experience to pull this thing apart. Oh, can anyone tell me what that little chain does next to the clutch basket? Timing?