HELP KEEPS DYING while riding????

Q&A about routine maintenance.
rbifi

#1 Post by rbifi »

try looking at the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel return line, the fuel return line(front of tank)could not be seated properly in the quick disconnect fittig, the pressure regulator could be bad or the vacume lines could have come off at either end, any one of these problems could cause your problems. I hope this helps. Let us know.

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

I would start with changing the plug...If it keeps getting worse that would seem like the place to start.

rbifi: what vacuum lines are you talking about??? I am just curious for my own problem I am working on.

rbifi

#3 Post by rbifi »

sorry, there are no vacuum lines, I do not know what I was thinking:o ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif to many long hours with my nose in to many manuals. I did read somewhere that the front fuel return line quick disconect would cause this problem if it was not connected properly or was damaged.

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

Well there is one vacuum line on the Barometric pressure sensor. This goes into the ecu, but I thought maybe there was another that I didn't know about. You are right about the fuel send line a swollen o-ring in the female and would cause this. The swollen ring is usually caused by race fuel. I have had my head buried in my cdale books way too long. I am still trying to figure out why mine has a similar problem.

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

In particular you are looking at the female send line...The ring swells in that fitting first. I think you can get them from the Quadshop.

4punksdad

#6 Post by 4punksdad »

mine will do this on occassion too...............like every 2 or three rides. some days it doesn't do it at all, other days it will cut off a handful of times per day for NO reason. I am beginning to think it is because the bike is not warmed up before I take off.

jcv440

#7 Post by jcv440 »

Check all your fuel quick connects. Race gas eats the little O-rings. If they're pinched/eaten away, then replace the o-rings with ones from an autoparts store. Use Vasoline as a lube to re-connect them. If that's not the ticket, put it on it's grab bar, take off the radiator shrouds, cut the zip ties holding all the wires up under the airbox, and start taking the wire connectors apart and cleaning them. Put the dielectic grease on the connectors, re-connect them, and wrap electrical tape around them. This will keep mud/water out of them. Do this to all the connections. Even in the airbox tray.

Cannondale's also have a sensor on the chain. Make sure your chain slack is adjusted right.

And make sure your idling is within spec. This will also shut down the quad.

If this does not solve the problem, then check the crankcase sensor and see if it has the wire shield the entire way down. Cannondale's website has info on this recall. And if it's still doing it, then I'd guess you need to do the stud update and might need some main bearings. Your crank might have enough movement in it to trigger the sensor to shut down the engine. I've seen this on a quite a few engines.