Axle Bearing Spacer

Q&A about routine maintenance.
NRath

#1 Post by NRath »

Anybody ever made a Stainless axle bearing spacer? It's ridiculous how nasty that thing gets as water infiltrates. Every time I pull one apart, same thing, a rusted up nasty chunk of tube. I've taken dims and will be looking at making one, but figured I'd check to see if someone already has.

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

That always bothers me when you pull one of those apart and see all that rusty nasty crap. I always put grease all over it even though it really doesn't matter I guess. Does the rust really hurt anything?

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Jan 19 2008, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always put grease all over it even though it really doesn't matter I guess. Does the rust really hurt anything?

I always clean them up and slather them with grease before re-assembly, too. The only possible problem is that if its bad enough on the id of the tube, it would make it tough to get the axle out. And we know those always slip right out, right? NOT!

wayneschofield

#4 Post by wayneschofield »

I've made one out of HE30 and having it anodised. For weight though not corrosion resistance.....

If yours are getting rusty water must be getting into the bearing housing. To get through the bearings it would have to get by five seals either side, so I guess it must be getting in through the ID of the bearing between it and the axle. Why not clean it all up nice and assemble it with a little 'three-bond' sealer between the axle and the bearings?

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Jan 20 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If yours are getting rusty water must be getting into the bearing housing. To get through the bearings it would have to get by five seals either side, so I guess it must be getting in through the ID of the bearing between it and the axle. Why not clean it all up nice and assemble it with a little 'three-bond' sealer between the axle and the bearings?

Yeah, that might not be a bad plan. Only problem is that I'd probably have to pull the carrier out to put the axle and carrier on a press to get them apart. I should probably press them apart anyway to save the abuse on the swingarm bearings. It's usually a 10 or 15 minute job with the BFH and a few feet of wood. I had a healthy pile of splintered wood after beating this one out! As snug as the fit is, would there be any left on the surfaces to seal them together? On second thought, I'd probably end up with an outer seal full of sealant on the sprocket side from sliding it in almost regardless of how thin of a coat I put on. It would be tricky.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Water gets in through the splines . Most jap quads have adjuster nut orings to help fight water but they to are not completly effective. I smear a little little silicone or thick grease on the spline during install and smear the tube with grease as well.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes it is amazing how the water gets in but it does for sure. I anti-sieze everything and hope for best. Stainless would be nice. Anyone ever get dimensions on a brand new one?

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

I don't know if it's me or not, but doesn't that tube look like a piece of thin wall tubing cut to a certain size? I would be in for a stainless one if anyone gets around to making them. biggrin.gif

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes it sure looks like thats what it is.

wayneschofield

#10 Post by wayneschofield »

they're not the best fit either.....

The ends don't seat well at all on the bearings. I tapered the ID out to meet the bearing face square-on so it doesnt tent to mush the end so much. The ally one is a little thicker walled too. If it doesn't hold up I'll put stainless or Ti inserts at the ends of it.