Axle Bearing Spacer

Q&A about routine maintenance.
thedeatons

#11 Post by thedeatons »

I have heard of people using carbon fiber cylinders for this, you can get them from McMaster-Carr.... Length needs to be exact.

wayneschofield

#12 Post by wayneschofield »

You'd have to put inserts in the ends for sure though.....

NRath

#13 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jan 21 2008, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Water gets in through the splines . Most jap quads have adjuster nut orings to help fight water but they to are not completly effective. I smear a little little silicone or thick grease on the spline during install and smear the tube with grease as well.

I always coat the splines with grease, but I do it to help protect the splines on the aluminum sprocket hub. Should be working as a seal though, like you said. Bearings still come out nasty.

As for the tube, yeah it looks like a generic piece of fence pipe! It's a 1.75" od pipe. I don't remember the ID and length off the top of my head. I googled pipe and the first place with a price that I could find was about $55 a foot for some 304 seamless, which would make 2. I'm sure that price could be beat. I need to check on getting it through work from the suppliers here.

As for this go-round, ole' rusty was cleaned, greased, and put back together with some new bearings.

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

If you guys give me the dimensions might be some presents in mail. We have a scrap bin at work that gets filled with pieces of 304 and 4130 chrome moly every day off the tubing benders. Figure they owe me one a day for next month for making me work mandatory weekends lately mad.gif

peterock

#15 Post by peterock »

I have some new ones steve, I'll get you some dimension this weekend.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool! Set one of those new ones aside for me in case I can't come up with anything. I be needing one bad also. My cheapo Parts Unlimited bearings rusted worse than anything I have ever seen. I think they promote rust!

kdeal

#17 Post by kdeal »

LOL laugh.gif

UpsMan

#18 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 24 2008, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you guys give me the dimensions might be some presents in mail. We have a scrap bin at work that gets filled with pieces of 304 and 4130 chrome moly every day off the tubing benders. Figure they owe me one a day for next month for making me work mandatory weekends lately mad.gif

Careful Steve, remember last time you went dumpster diving at work? That didn't work out so good did it?

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

Sure it did. I got two days off paid and ended up buying it back for $1 laugh.gif

peterock

#20 Post by peterock »

lol, that's all you can do is laugh. Unreal..........$1