routine maintence

Q&A about routine maintenance.
AlaskaSpeed

#1 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Routine maintenance is not that bad. I think that everyone has heard so many horror stories about the Cannondales that they get intimidated.
Ask Guy, they are intimidating if you look at the numerous wires, hoses, etc. but I have had mine torn down twice now and it is not such an impossible task. The routine maintenance now seems easy, just a little more involved.
I tend to spend more time than I probably have to, but I race MX and that seems to make you a bit more anal about everything. I say that the Cannondale would be a great choice for the dunes for your hubby............JIM

Motoman440

#2 Post by Motoman440 »

I was riding a 400ex for a couple of years and in July 2002 I purchased a Moto 440. I was intimidated at first but the maintenance gets easier each time. The main things to do is keep the bike clean after rides / races. Change both the tranny oil and engine oil after 10 hours or 3 rides. Change and clean all the filters when changing the oils. Change the fuel filter after 5 hours and always strain your gas. I use VP Red Racing gas and mix it down to a 98 octane with Chevron Supreme with Techoline. I do this because the gas is cleaner and will burn cooler and more efficient. I read on some forum somewhere that a guy uses a coffee filter to strain his gas and now I do the same. This all helps to keep the injectors clean and believe me it isn't cheap to have them cleaned. The Techoline helps to clean the injectors as well. The bolts I have had trouble keeping tight are the rear axle nuts and the brake hub nuts. Check all the bolts constantly and use red or blue loctite when you fine one that continues to loosen. Lastly, keep the air filter clean and the chain adjusted correctly. It sounds like alot but you will get used to it. Believe me, it's worth the effort once you start the bike and go!!! The power and throttle response is unreal!!! Hang on for the ride you have been waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Motoman440

#3 Post by Motoman440 »

I'm just being upfront with you on what I do. Yeah, I'm probably a little anal but when I spend that much money I will take every pre-caution. Good Luck!!!

86atc250r

#4 Post by 86atc250r »

It's not necessary to change the fuel filter every 5hrs unless you run very dirty fuel.

We don't take any special precautions on our fuel (other than common sense) and haven't had to change a filter yet --- and we even raced the 12 hours of America race this year (without any trouble) on our Moto. We also flat track race this quad.

Still haven't changed the fuel filter, although we do keep an eye on it.

I have changed one on my Cannibal, but not so sure it really needed it. When blowing thru the filter it had no more resistance than a new one.

Just be smart, don't run dirty fuel and don't knock any dirt into the tank when refueling.

People make more of a deal out of the maint than it really is. Oil drain takes a few minutes longer than it does on a 400EX, but if that's going to affect your buying decision, don't even consider buying a high performance 4 stroke (or two stroke for that matter).

One of the biggest deals with the cannondale is the valve adjust procedure. It's a pain. If let go, can reduce performance and cost you in the long run. Too many people don't realize the importance of keeping the valves adjusted on a modern 4 stroke engine. Luckily, from reports I've heard so far from people who have checked them, it sounds like the CDale's valves don't require adjustment all that often.

The bottom line is yes, the CD takes a little more maint than say a stock 400EX, however, if you modify a 400EX to run with a CDale then it will take greater maintenance as well. Neither is an extrordinary amount though....

Motoman440

#5 Post by Motoman440 »

That's good news about the fuel filter!!! I was wondering myself due to the fact the filter never appears to be dirty. However, the filter only costs $3.00 or $4.00 and takes 10 minutes to change. My dealer and the owners manual recommend the 5 hour point. I have only ridden on the latest filter change about 2 hours so I will test your recommendation. Thanks for tip!!!