Attention Racers!

Q&A about routine maintenance.
jesshamner

#1 Post by jesshamner »

After the racing season is over, what needs to be checked over and/or replaced? I think it would be good to have a check list. Let me know what you look for besides motor issues. Thanks.

wanablaze

#2 Post by wanablaze »

Other than the usual stuff I'd check

Brake pads, wheel bearings, ball joints, tierod ends, steering stem bearing, swingarm bearings, carrier bearings, chain and sprockets, clutch pack, a-arm bushings. Also maybe swap out quick connects with new ones.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

What is the usual stuff that you check?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Everything else!

wanablaze

#5 Post by wanablaze »

Now that I've got it home I usually check a few things before I ride. The Moto stays in the barn and that's where the tools are, so that makes it easy. Every other ride I make sure that oil is flowing and above the hole in the frame. I also make sure the airfilter is clean (easy to check since I have the canniboomer set up) and top off the gas tank. Before I ride I also "kick" any of the tires if they look low and lube the chain. I do all of this while the bike is warming up. Now is also a good time to look for any loose bolts ( I don't always do this, only if I'm waiting for someone). You can also lube the front suspension if you have grease zerks.

Other than that, it's been good to me since I've put the motor back in. Unless I notice something unusual, I don't go taking it apart. I do check for leaks after I'm done riding it. So far so good!

Ritalin version: It's usually gas and go!