Fouling Plugs???

Q&A about routine maintenance.
TG2891

#1 Post by TG2891 »

For starters, I am a newbie at the C-dale thing. I am however fairly mechanically inclined and can usually figure out what the problem is. But this thing is driving me crazy. I can run my dale all day and not have one problem. Does not cut out, stall, spit and sputter or is hard to start when hot. But if it sits overnight, it will not start unless I put a new plug in it.
Here are some things I know about the machine and have noticed that might help
(1.) When I take the used plug out it is black. (2.) The quad is a '03 Speed but the ecm and the motor is from a Blaze (3.) The exhaust is a Speed stock exhaust, SS square style. (4.) I run 93 octane fuel. (5.) The air filter is clean w/fresh oil. (6.) The fuel filter is new and the screen in the tank is clear (7.) The FP appears to be working fine. (8.) I start it as indicated in the owners manual. Tap the button 3 times and then start.

Lastly, as I have been reading the threads, I have seen many references to settings in the ecm in regards to fuel delivery. (I am thinking that this is my problem) Is this something I could do or does it have to be sent out? If I could do it where do I get the equipment and what might it cost?

Oh by the way, the site is amazing.

Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

That is your problem. You need the D&M kit to lean that baby out and do a throttle recal.

TG2891

#3 Post by TG2891 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Dec 4 2006, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is your problem. You need the D&M kit to lean that baby out and do a throttle recal.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea where I may get a D&M and is it a contained all in one unit or something that is installed on a lap top and read through a cable?

One other thing. Do you think that having a ecm and motor from a Blaze with a stock Speed exhaust could be part of the problem?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes probably a bit rich.Also check what plug you have.Some had 10's run a 8.Also make sure you dont touch the throttle when starting it.

speed2424

#5 Post by speed2424 »

QUOTE (TG2891 @ Dec 4 2006, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea where I may get a D&M and is it a contained all in one unit or something that is installed on a lap top and read through a cable?

One other thing. Do you think that having a ecm and motor from a Blaze with a stock Speed exhaust could be part of the problem?

Black Widow has just about ANYTHING you might need for your Dale. (877) 302-9288.
The motor having come out of a Blaze, only means it was not tuned in that quad before you got it.

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

The Blaze model came with a different exhaust system that is more free flowing than a stock Speed exhaust. If nothing has been done to the ECU and everything is off of the Blaze (Motor, ECU, Throttle Body, etc) than you are just too rich and the fuel setting change will cure that. A D&M kit is nothing more than software and a cable that attaches to the wiring harness to be able to communicate with the ECU and it's sensors. Like any good software company, it does have an enrollment code that must be obtained from the manufacture (Optimum) after you buy the kit. Black Widow ATV is a licensed vendor for the kits and can get you set-up. The cheapest version runs about $300 but it's worth it.

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

Well worth it!

TG2891

#8 Post by TG2891 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Dec 4 2006, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Blaze model came with a different exhaust system that is more free flowing than a stock Speed exhaust. If nothing has been done to the ECU and everything is off of the Blaze (Motor, ECU, Throttle Body, etc) than you are just too rich and the fuel setting change will cure that. A D&M kit is nothing more than software and a cable that attaches to the wiring harness to be able to communicate with the ECU and it's sensors. Like any good software company, it does have an enrollment code that must be obtained from the manufacture (Optimum) after you buy the kit. Black Widow ATV is a licensed vendor for the kits and can get you set-up. The cheapest version runs about $300 but it's worth it.

Thanks for the info guys. I will keep you apprised of the outcome. On a second note, does anyone have a stock Blaze exhaust that they would like to sell. I would love to ride my dale but am getting tired of changing plugs every time. So until I get the D&M kit and figure out how to use it, a differant exhaust might help the plug situation. If so drop me an e-mail or give me a call and maybe we can work out a deal.

Tom
(540) 295-3710
tg2891@verizon.net

ozarkdaler

#9 Post by ozarkdaler »

I have the square toaster pipe. Will that work?

TG2891

#10 Post by TG2891 »

QUOTE (cjenkins @ Dec 4 2006, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the square toaster pipe. Will that work?

I think that is what I have on my dale now. Are you talking about the SS rectangle one about 4"x4"x12" if so that is what I have. I guess what I am looking for is the stock FMF pipe that the Blaze's came with. I believe that they were cylindrical, some were tit and others were alum.