Backfiring

Q&A about routine maintenance.
zacke22

#1 Post by zacke22 »

When i rev my motor up or i am decelerating after getting to 3rd gear or above, my engine backfires as i get off the gas. Why is it doing this? Do the valves need adjusted or something? Thats what my dad thought but we dont know alot about cannondales yet, just got mine a few weeks ago.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Usually if it backfires on decel then it is a lean condition. Is it backfiring on accel also? I would check the plug out and see how it looks.

toothandnail

#3 Post by toothandnail »

If it's backfireing on deceleration it's lean, if on accel it's your battery cables that are loose. Put in netural slowly rev , if it's battery connections it will pop, crack, sputter, backfire, ect. If I weren't such a nice guy laugh.gif I could have bought several C-dales cheap with this problem. Almost did once at the dunes , guy with simular problem I told him what was wrong showed him they were loose, he tried riding like that for a day and a half mouthing all the time about what a pos C-Dale was , I offered him $500.00 , he was ready to take it wacko.gif but I just tightened them up for him the last couple of hrs. of ride time. ran great ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

zacke22

#4 Post by zacke22 »

It mainly backfires on decel. So what do i do to fix the problem? I know that if its the plug then i just replace it, but what do you mean by too lean? too lean of fuel? too low of octane fuel?
Thanx
Zack

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

Too lean as in there is not enough fuel in the cylinder. You have to richen it up with the D&M kit. Its the same as increasing the jet size in a carburated quad.