Fluid Removal

Q&A about routine maintenance.
zacke22

#1 Post by zacke22 »

When I drain the oil on my Cdale, do i just drain the left and right spars, the crank case, and the oil filter? Or is there any other places i need to drain? Also, whats the easiest way to drain the radiator?
One More Thing- when Im refilling my quad with oil, what are some tips to make sure that i dont have the oil spraying into the airbox problem?
Thanks,
Zack

Sandstorm

#2 Post by Sandstorm »

There is one more place to drain the oil, but it's only necessary like once a year. The line that hangs just below the pipe. You'll see it.. You need 1.5 qrts engine oil for an oil change.. Take the nut off the bottom of the radiator. Keep the rad cap on then loosen it after the nut is off the bottom..

zacke22

#3 Post by zacke22 »

QUOTE (Sandstorm @ Jan 17 2007, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is one more place to drain the oil, but it's only necessary like once a year. The line that hangs just below the pipe. You'll see it.. You need 1.5 qrts engine oil for an oil change.. Take the nut off the bottom of the radiator. Keep the rad cap on then loosen it after the nut is off the bottom..

Thanks Sandstorm

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

When you get the motor on the bench, you will find one more are the oil is at! Under the scavenge pump pick-up cover! It must hold 1/2 a cup of oil in there! I always seem to make a mess when I pop the covers off. Best idea is to put drain plugs back in the motor until you remove it, then tilt the motor over a pan while removing the covers and plugs. Now I know why they had an engine stand that had a good size drain pan under it when working on them at the factory.....

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

I also pull the plug on the right side of the motor (quads with the breather update) or the line with the banjo fitting on it just in front of the trans drain on a quad that do not have the update. Something I do that does not seem to be wide practice is to tip the quad up on its side to the ballance point and I get at least a quarter to a half a quart more out of it. This manuver is best accomplished with two people so one can move the pan for less mess. I have found that when I do this it will take closer to two quarts to get the level right. I do the same thing with the trans and I believe it is more than worth the trouble and allows me to safely stretch the intervals a bit. To get the trans filter back in I have found it is much easer with it tipped up the other way, I have often thought it might be worth it to put a eye bolt in the ceiling and use a adjustable tie down to hold it there to make it safer. Somebody else mentioned using compressed air to blow more oil out of the spars but I have not tried that yet.

Ray

zacke22

#6 Post by zacke22 »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Jan 18 2007, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also pull the plug on the right side of the motor (quads with the breather update) or the line with the banjo fitting on it just in front of the trans drain on a quad that do not have the update. Something I do that does not seem to be wide practice is to tip the quad up on its side to the ballance point and I get at least a quarter to a half a quart more out of it. This manuver is best accomplished with two people so one can move the pan for less mess. I have found that when I do this it will take closer to two quarts to get the level right. I do the same thing with the trans and I believe it is more than worth the trouble and allows me to safely stretch the intervals a bit. To get the trans filter back in I have found it is much easer with it tipped up the other way, I have often thought it might be worth it to put a eye bolt in the ceiling and use a adjustable tie down to hold it there to make it safer. Somebody else mentioned using compressed air to blow more oil out of the spars but I have not tried that yet.

Ray

Thanks Ray,
I actually have already drained the oil and i tilted the quad just like you said because i figured i would get more oil out that way. Looks like great minds think alike. cool.gif laugh.gif Now if i could just get that stubborn seized up transmission drain bolt out......Anybody know how to get it out? Im almost 100% sure its seized up...