Gas Tank Connectors

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Chicken

#1 Post by Chicken »

i recently tried to connect the fuel line to the tank and they seemed ungodly hard to connect (the rear one) and the front one i cant get connected..(lack of area is one of the problems) i made sure that they were clean and the o-ring are not damaged neither the spring loaded lock on it either...

ive never changed these.. are they wore out?? how often do you replace them?? can you add a longer piece of fuel line to the front to make it easier to conect it to the tank??? or will it kink when the tank sits in place??

im in no hurry for a answer just need one biggrin.gif

thanks
Chicken

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Make sure the clip is in the in position and us a needle nose pliers to hold the quickconnect and put it in the female end.Think about switching to Caniboomers setup when they are available.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

Swollen internal o-rings can cause the plungers to be sticky and stubborn. Don't use brake cleaner to clean the fittings!, and try dry-lube or silicone spray on the steel tab-slides. And any use of non-viton outer seals will make the males VERY hard to get in or out, and they should be coated with o-ring grease (same dielectric grease you may already have). But you are overdue for at least a set of stock replacement fittings -- I have all of those in stock, but don't recommend them... and they are too pricey anyway for the repeated trouble you will have.... Your 02 tank can instead use a tankmount petcock outlet with a shorty in-line full-flow disconnect to the filter, and then alternate return fittings for a much better setup. Or, the full-frontal conversions are more sensible if you need new fuel line anyway (and you probably do)... And with that conversion, there is no more fiddling under the tank, and there are several other benefits.

I'm just now starting to get caught up on several tank jobs, and prepping of pigtailed valves (different versions depending on customer setups). I'm also going to try building extra tanks for a quick send-out, and with a core charge to get your stock tank back here in return (in the same carton). Anyway, there are HUGE improvements to fit any budget, and even the fullblown versions are turning out to be a real bargain. Email your details, or maybe even some good pics of your tank. I could send you a like-quality tank as a bolt-on replacement.