Mobil 1 Oils - How much Difference?

Q&A about routine maintenance.
GDITheman

#1 Post by GDITheman »

I ran out of oil and have been changing mine a lot, after every MX session, so I stopped by Advanced Auto to get some more oil. Finding a fully synthetic 40wt oil isn't easy, but it's getting much easier. For Mobil 1, they had the regular 0-40 and a 10-40 4 stroke, a 5-40 turbo diesel, and a 40wt high milage. The high milage oil caught my eye because it was around $3.29 a quart and it's fully synthetic. Thw 10-40 4 stroke is about $8.00 a quart and the other 2 were in the $6.00 range. I bought some of the 4 stroke to try it and also the old standby 0-40, but wondered if the high milage 40wt is not a real bargain. Fully Synthetic at a syn blend price. Just wondered if you guys had any insight as to the difference in this oil. Also, if there is any issue with running the full syn diesel oils? Sometimes there are a lot of selections and sometimes I'm lucky if I can find 1 40wt full syn oil.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Are you sure the High Mileage is a synthetic?I didnt think it was.Anyway look for the SG rating manual calls for it and have learned that sg rated oil is better for your cams.Lot of zinc and phosphorus.

GDITheman

#3 Post by GDITheman »

I have never seen the Mobil 1 full syn high mileage stuff either until today. I just checked www.mobil1.com and they do talk about the Mobil 1 high mileage vs the reg high mileage. I'll look into it more.

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

Mobil 1 is not a pure full synthetic.... Rotella T (blue jug at Wal Mart in 5w40) is a PURE full synthetic, and is used in semi trucks for up to 500k miles..... used in our group for over three years with no ill effects.... I am not saying Mobil 1 is no good, I use it in my car with 10k mile drain intervals, but understand it is NOT a full synthetic....

GDITheman

#5 Post by GDITheman »

Then how can they put "fully synthetic" on the labels of Mobil 1? Mobil 1 is the "fully synthetic" line of Mobil Oil Products. Everything in the FAQ calls Mobile 1 a full syn oil.

rayspeed

#6 Post by rayspeed »

Mobil is doing something weird with their marketing and I dont care for it, kind of confusing to the average customer. They are trying to lean on their good reputation with synthetics to get in to the semi synthetic and conventional market. Not a bad idea from a business standpoint but their angle is decieving.
Clean 5000 is a conventional oil as far as I can tell and over priced for what it is, what about $2.25/qt.
Clean 7500 is probably a semi synthetic even more overpriced.
High mielage I was thinking was a fully synthetic good for 12-15k miles so it says! Change your oil filter regularly tho. Only way I would do 15k is with oil sampling. Over the road trucks getting 500k oil life is due to oil sampling, centrifical filters and bypass oil filters.
They also have a high mielage oil that is labeled for trucks and suv's seems like a gimmick, probably the same oil but at least it is the same price.

For the money the Rotella synthetic cant get any better for your quad. I have been thrashing on one of the first atk balanced cranks with the known questionable bearing for a couple of yearsand it has held up.
For your car or truck Wal-mart sells a semi synthetic labeled phillips 66 trop artic 5/30 and 10/40 for only a dime more then their no brand conventional oil at just a little over a buck and a half a quart.
For your money that is the best deal out there. Spin on a new filter at 3k and change both at 6k and you will be taking excellent care of your car or truck. If you are lazy you could probably stretch it a bit..

Ray

Ray

GDITheman

#7 Post by GDITheman »

So is the Mobil 1 line of oils full syn as labeled?

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

No... Apparently years ago the courts gave the oil company's permission to use the "term" full synthetic... The following websites show a bit of what I am talking about, and list the "Real" full synthetics...

http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-4.html

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Mobil 1 is mineral oil based, and is labeled as such on the bottle by the oil rating/classification... Like I mentioned before, I use it, seems to work good, but don't be fooled as to what it really is.

GDITheman

#9 Post by GDITheman »

Thanks for the info. They must market well because I see that Mercedes and Porsche both have Mobil 1 as THE oil to use in their cars.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Corvette and Lexus also.