Transmission oil

Q&A about routine maintenance.
kenny mariscott

#1 Post by kenny mariscott »

What type of Amsoil should I use in my transmission?

I am going to be using the Amsoil synthetic 10w-40 sg in my motor is this compatable with the transmission ? I searched the Amsoil site and came up empty on any type of motorcycle transmission oil. Looking for some advice.

Kenny

wanablaze

#2 Post by wanablaze »

Lot's of good oils listed here:
http://forums.cannondaler.com/viewtopic.php?t=1314

Page 2 second post. Might want to ask how his is holding up. Should be fine though.

450blaze

#3 Post by 450blaze »

amsoil motorcycle oil will be fine for your clutch

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

I am not personally into Amsoil, but I swear by Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Looks like Smurf pee, and sticks for a long time. Anyone who has opened up the sidecover with an engine that was running shockproof will tell you how messy it is, simply because there is still Redline all over everything, even after sitting for months. This is a good thing...

Speed 1B

#5 Post by Speed 1B »

I run 85W Bel-ray gear saver and have since 02, but I'm considerering a change to Motorex after all the good things I've heard about their oils.

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

I don't think the brand really matters that much. If you switch brands and suddenly you are hearing funny things or it shifts weird, yes, then switch back or try something else. I have used at least 5 different brands of oil in the tranny and couldn't tell a difference of any kind. Honda gear lube, honda synthetic, amsoil, suzuki, red line, all no noticeable difference in performance. As far as gear wear or clutch wear goes; I never see anything odd in the drain oil or very much on the filter screen either.