Frame Flush

Q&A about routine maintenance.
hontrx265r

#1 Post by hontrx265r »

My rod breaing got desroyed and now I have a good amount of metal in my frame..I was wondering if anyone had a good procedure for flushing a frame. Should I use Kerosene or some other solvent....soap and water doesnt really sound like a good idea. Any help would be appreciated. Does the entire quad have to be disassembled?

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

Just having the motor out is all that you really need, of course if it was down to the bare frame it would go faster and be somewhat easier but is not necessary. If you happen to have an old 12 volt fuel pump laying around put a hose from the bottom frame oil intake for the engine and run it to a bucket. Use kerosene or even diesel fuel and have a filter (see thru gas filters work and are cheap) to pull from the bucket to the oil fill. You can occasionally pinch off the drain back and let it fill up several times, but be sure to have the vents pluged. Shake the whole quad or bike around with it full to loosen up the debris. You can reverse the flow, flow thru other fittings put it on its side and on its tail, whatever does the trick. When you think you are done use a new filter and maybe fresh flush and do it again several times and when there is no metal to be found in the filter you are as done as you are going to get.
Would be a good idea to put magnets in strategic places in the rebuilt engine.
Use cheap oil to break it in and change it and the filter several times in the first couple of operating hours and you should be ok. It would be best to use paper filters at least for a while.
Hope that helps.
Ray

hontrx265r

#3 Post by hontrx265r »

Thanks for the help. I dont have a extra fuel pump laying around but Im sure I can figure something out. Where could I place magnets in my engine???