Front Brake Issue

Q&A about routine maintenance.
ozarkdaler

#1 Post by ozarkdaler »

I have been doing a search on the site for my particular issue and I am not finding the answer. I have been trying to get my front brakes working on my Nacs quad but I am unable to get them to work. I have used Sandstorm's and Jwheat's methods on bleeding the brakes but, I still cannot get any stiffness out of the lever. I still have a full amount of fluid in the rezzy and it does not seem to past that point. Do I need to buy another rezzy or is there another option that I cannot find?

Cory

jwheat

#2 Post by jwheat »

QUOTE (cjenkins @ Feb 24 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been doing a search on the site for my particular issue and I am not finding the answer. I have been trying to get my front brakes working on my Nacs quad but I am unable to get them to work. I have used Sandstorm's and Jwheat's methods on bleeding the brakes but, I still cannot get any stiffness out of the lever. I still have a full amount of fluid in the rezzy and it does not seem to past that point. Do I need to buy another rezzy or is there another option that I cannot find?

Cory

If neither method is working and the fluid level in the master cylinder isn' t dropping, you probably need another master cylinder.

ozarkdaler

#3 Post by ozarkdaler »

I am going to try the one off of my speed and then if cures the problem I will have to get one. Anyone got one they could part with?

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

Make sure you don't have a small leak on the banjo bolt. Thats if they were working then you changed something on the brakes?

ozarkdaler

#5 Post by ozarkdaler »

I do not have a leak or I would lose fluid in the rezzy but I am not. I bought the quad and it was like this. I thought it would be a simple bleed to correct the issue but I guess I was wrong

wayneschofield

#6 Post by wayneschofield »

if someone in the past ever put the wrong fluid in it the seals swell and would cause your problem.

A master cyl is a simple enough thing to re-build, but you will need a seal kit first. I expect it would be the same as something else with Nissin brakes. Any twin caliper bike master would do the job though, pretty much.

wright

#7 Post by wright »

I've had this same problem were I coudn't get them to bleed, I had to get a Mighty Vac to get the job done, I don't know why but I had this problem on two different bikes.

Nickc711

#8 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (wright @ Feb 25 2008, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had this same problem were I coudn't get them to bleed, I had to get a Mighty Vac to get the job done, I don't know why but I had this problem on two different bikes.

I still have that problem on my Honda....but it goes slow enough you don't need brakes! tongue.gif

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

I nominate Nick for quote of the day! The above comment was the funniest I have read all weekend.

Ross: Stop using the semi-tractor brake bleeder on that poor Cannondale. LOL blink.gif

g9901920

#10 Post by g9901920 »

THE EASIEST way to bleed the brakes is to:

open the master cylinder then open up one of the bleed valves and pump the lever watch the level of the brake fluid in the master cylinder make sure there is always some in there.
the calipers piston will then start to push the brake pads, close the valve when the piston wont go any further, it should be pushing the brake pad,
then pump the lever about five times and it should start to tighten then open the bleed valve with the lever pushed in.
then close the valve. pump the lever and it should be tight, somtimes you might need to do this twice.