Transmission Oil - GRAY- Need HELP?

Q&A about routine maintenance.
marceb16

#1 Post by marceb16 »

I went to change my oil today in prep for going riding in WV (hatfield McCoy) next week and when I cracked open the Transmision Oil Drain plug out came gray oil / goop.

I change my oil every 2-3 rides and never an issue ??????? What does this mean?

Please help!

ciscorc

#2 Post by ciscorc »

is there any evidence of water in it?

marceb16

#3 Post by marceb16 »

QUOTE (ciscorc @ Jun 22 2008, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is there any evidence of water in it?

There does not appear to be any oil to water seperation. The metal screen / filter is pretty clean too.

Easy E

#4 Post by Easy E »

You could possibly have the old clutch pack with aluminum metal plates. My clutch fluid was very silver/grey colored and I found the aluminum plates were the cause. Upgrading to the steel metal plates was the fix.

marceb16

#5 Post by marceb16 »

Last week while riding there was deep still water crossing that I had to be pulled back out of ??????? because it was too deep. Water was half way up my fan ??????? the blades were pushing water to the point that I feared my fan would burn up. Meaning the bottom half (transmission) was pretty much under water too.

Is it possible that the motor sucked in some water some how ??????? into the transmission? Through a vent/breather or something?

How can I flush out my transmission?

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (marceb16 @ Jun 22 2008, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can I flush out my transmission?

Change the tranny oil and then run it a little, drain it and see what you have. That ought to do it. If you continue to see gray oil, something else is up.