The Definitive Oil Capacity Thread!

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Happyboy

#51 Post by Happyboy »

how old are you again Jess?

jesshamner

#52 Post by jesshamner »

A quarter of a century maybe. I stopped counting once it was legal to drink and in college. wink.gif Why?

thedeatons

#53 Post by thedeatons »

Guys.... Just trying to keep conversation up. Do you have something better to do? If you don't want to be part of the thread then go start another one right? I wouldn't bug your thread.

There is nothing wrong with having an exact amount of oil to add. Isn't it hypocritical to say I can't have a number when everyone else wants to have their 1.5 qt number? The manual from Cannondale has a number.....

So far what I have gathered is this: If your checkball is leaking and you add 1.5 qts then you will end up with too much oil in the sump, assuming you don't get every drop out at the last oil change. Boomer said 1.7 qts is over the piston remember.

Not saying 1.5 is wrong anymore, because now I understand the checkball issue. No one had ever explained that to me before, so thank you for that.

Our quads do sit for a long time between rides. We blow out 3-4 days in the desert but then they sit for a month until the next trip. Our oil is always within the operating range on the dipstick though (between bottom and full line).

I admit I started this thread with a hot head. Sorry about that. I do think the thread has become more informational as it has gone on though. I like discussing this stuff with you guys. There aren't really any other forums that I spend time on, so I try to post a lot here and learn a lot. try not to bust my chops too much for trying to get some educational answers...

cannondale27

#54 Post by cannondale27 »

The solution to the problem is fixing or getting a new pump. If not willing to do that there are still many options such as frequent riding, draining some oil when sitting or if really worried add a valve. Maybe route your tether to it so you never forget to turn it on. Dirty frame or oil could also cause this. Don't be leaving the drain open or anything since bugs love oil it seems.

1.5 qts or more is perfect amount.

Happyboy

#55 Post by Happyboy »

ah good times

jesshamner

#56 Post by jesshamner »

LOL...stirring the pot are we?

Happyboy

#57 Post by Happyboy »

ph34r.gif

thedeatons

#58 Post by thedeatons »

Yeah... you can go soak your head. Everyone likes to drive people away around here. There are about 5 people who know everything about Dales, and they won't tell anyone else. If someone had actually told me about the checkball prior to this I wouldn't have mentioned any of this. Of course it makes sense the checkball allows oil to seep by. I didn't even know there was a checkball, and for two years I discussed running a low oil level, and NO ONE MENTIONED THE CHECKBALL.

If there were any kind of organization around here all this would have been compiled by now. I have contributed a LOT to Cannondales, compiling all the internet magazine articles, badgering ohlins for MONTHS to get the original suspension files and drawings, etc. There are not many people who have done anything like that, what was your last brilliant contribution happyboy, besides trying to upset people?

This forum is now off my favorites, I am out. Not returning. You guys have fun floundering around trying to uncover all the problems that a few people already know about. This forum has annoyed me for years, and I am finally rid of it.

2mike18

#59 Post by 2mike18 »

Leaving the forums because you can't agree to disagree with another member?

Happyboy

#60 Post by Happyboy »

Meet in the middle man, you just can't take such a one sided view on everything. And you really do take it all personally don't you? Sheesh, get a sense of humor. Yeah, I was just getting your goat and proving my point by bringing this thread back up. It really is the same thing in here as in the other thread. There is nothing that is so black and white out there, well, 'cept for the Z400 bearing. smile.gif Take a deep breathe, say "I hate happyboy" 3 times, then remind yourself this is all just on the internet and everyone is different in person.

But, don't leave, you do help alot. In fact I do believe you are the one that asked about compiling stuff and I made up a new forum for you to do that in. Go compile stuff to your hearts content.