Frame Spar plugs

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Hacksaw830

#1 Post by Hacksaw830 »

While changing the oil in one my dales (03 SE cannibal) I couldnt get anything out of the lower spar drain plug. anybody else had any problems with the spar plugs not draining ?

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

Did you get a lot out of the sump? My checkball leaks the oil past it and into the sump, so all my drains come from the engine's sump drain bolt, I barely get anything from the frame....

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

You are supposed to start with a warm engine when you change the oil. I hope your oil doesnt drain past checkball that fast.

Hacksaw take the bleeder all the way out and poke a wire up there. If oil comes out there is a bunch of crud in there. Have seen that often enough when a crankbearing goes. And once from a guy who only drained the oil once in three years it seemed! Means frame needs to be flushed and motor rebuilt.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

If you drain it warm, you should definitely get plenty out of the frame. you could try a shot of air or carb cleaner up into the fitting while it's cracked open and the dipstick off -- that will usually release any crud buildup.

Hah!...I see we posted at the same time,........... so anyway, ditto everything that C27 said. ^^^ smile.gif

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Jul 27 2008, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you get a lot out of the sump? My checkball leaks the oil past it and into the sump, so all my drains come from the engine's sump drain bolt, I barely get anything from the frame....

You should still get oil from the engine oil inlet fitting on the frame down to the drain, if not it's plugged!

Hacksaw830

#6 Post by Hacksaw830 »

I got it, blew some air up the lower spar and she started to work. Ive got bits of silver and gold shavings in my oil. I guess Ill be needing a bearing or maybe a crank. Oh well.

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 26 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are supposed to start with a warm engine when you change the oil. I hope your oil doesnt drain past checkball that fast.

Hacksaw take the bleeder all the way out and poke a wire up there. If oil comes out there is a bunch of crud in there. Have seen that often enough when a crankbearing goes. And once from a guy who only drained the oil once in three years it seemed! Means frame needs to be flushed and motor rebuilt.

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

If you are seeing bits of metal, start saving for a crank.