One way starter died

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Hacksaw830

#1 Post by Hacksaw830 »

Well got the oil changed on bike #3, the bike fires right up and ran great!...... for one hour. I turned it off to help my wife on a hill, then tried to crank her
and all it would do is spin, my wife had to pull start me on her arctic cat to get me going, I guess the one way is gone. How much will it cost for the oneway? I was planing on sending the crank off for a z400 (I hope th crank is
still good). Which side of the engine is the oneway on?.

2mike18

#2 Post by 2mike18 »

The one way bearing is on the right side of the motor. But in order to change it you'll need to pull the cartridge out so that makes it a good time to get the crank done. The crank, balance shaft and one way are on the cartridge. It's not too difficult to do and I'm sure someone will chime in with more detailed info.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

This is the reason I like to change the one-way bearing when ever I rebuild a motor. Because, you have to tear the entire motor apart to get to the #@$% bearing! Update the motor while you are in there. The one-way bearing is number 12 in the picture.

PS: It's bad to pull start these bikes when the one-way bearing is working properly.

[attachment=6800:Crank_Pic.jpg]

Hacksaw830

#4 Post by Hacksaw830 »

For some reason the bike will fire right up when its cold but after you ride for a while it will not start until it cools off. When its hot it just spins as if it doesnt have any compression, it sounds just like my old 660 raptor when the starter clutch goes out on it. I guess its for sure on its way out. Ill be pulling the motor in a few days if you can give me any tips on pulling the motor and crankshaft cassett fire away.

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jul 28 2008, 06:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the reason I like to change the one-way bearing when ever I rebuild a motor. Because, you have to tear the entire motor apart to get to the #@$% bearing! Update the motor while you are in there. The one-way bearing is number 12 in the picture.

PS: It's bad to pull start these bikes when the one-way bearing is working properly.

[attachment=6800:Crank_Pic.jpg]