Cleaning frame spars

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Hacksaw830

#1 Post by Hacksaw830 »

How do you guys clean the frame spars when doing a rebuild? and what do you use? pressure washer? motor flush? desil? etc. etc.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

I prefer complete chassis disassembly and hanging the frame from a hook. Pressure washer on high detergent and lots of flow into every port. Agitating as much as possible and flipping the frame in all directions. Best /safest bet is just toss the frame and get one that didn't blow a crank. The kdeal pellet magnet is absolutely vital to keep the shards out of the fresh motor. Clean it every 10 minutes until it doesn't pack full. You never get a frame fully clean no matter what but do your best as your new engine is counting on it.

I have also tried the trans cooler flush cans but thats expensive and only do it as a final flush.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Was he talking about a frame flush or the outside of the frame?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

I dont know a chassis rebuild or engine rebuild? I wouldnt recommend motor flush on the outside.LOL

Hacksaw830

#5 Post by Hacksaw830 »

I was talking about flushing the inside. It didnt loose the bearing but the piston is scarred. I plan on rebuilding this one later. But I have a low hour 03 thats running but hasnt been opened up and I want to get a z400. Anyway Im looking for ideas about flushing the frame spars.

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 1 2008, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was he talking about a frame flush or the outside of the frame?

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

I start with hooking up the frame to my parts washing tank which has paint thinner in it.Takes about a day to go through ever possible hose inlet and outlet.Frame up,down,sideway etc all while its flowing.Then I move to garden hose and Dawn dish soap.Last step is that E85 or Isopropyl 2 or 3 bottles swished around every which way then drain and let it sit out in sun for a day or 2 to evaporate everything.After installing motor 1/2 hr then change filter/oil.If it has some flakes do it again after about a hour but just the filter.If nothing on it put it back in.

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 1 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I start with hooking up the frame to my parts washing tank which has paint thinner in it.Takes about a day to go through ever possible hose inlet and outlet.Frame up,down,sideway etc all while its flowing.Then I move to garden hose and Dawn dish soap.Last step is that E85 or Isopropyl 2 or 3 bottles swished around every which way then drain and let it sit out in sun for a day or 2 to evaporate everything.After installing motor 1/2 hr then change filter/oil.If it has some flakes do it again after about a hour but just the filter.If nothing on it put it back in.

AT what point do you do a dancer around it? wink.gif

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

After a year when crank is still good!

2000ex

#9 Post by 2000ex »

The bike I just purchased had a crank go out in probably 10 hours. This is my first dealing with a frame with a crank that let go.

I thought the frame would be filled with shards, however I pressurized it with compressed air and removed all of the spar drains until spit of oil came out...no shards at all. It was a late 03 with silver sidecover and the rear engine oil inlet was a black plastic...no filings in that rear screen either. I jammed a pipecleaner in the lower frame spar and just clean oil was stuck on it..

Did I get lucky, or should I try the thorough flushing methods described by others?

jinx44

#10 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Aug 22 2008, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did I get lucky, or should I try the thorough flushing methods described by others?

I thought I had flushed mine well after it had sit for a few months. Yet there was still paper and leaves trapped somewhere inside and it caused starvation of my new motor. Obviously there are places stuff can hide inside.

This time it will be flushed in every thinkable way.