Radiator fan has been on for 2 hrs!!!

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Crazie

#1 Post by Crazie »

I'll start with the basics. It's a 468, and it was 102 @ the dunes (yes I know, but I was fiending). Anyways, after I finished riding, the fan stayed on for a good 15 minutes, which is longer than ever. Keep in mind the fan is directly wired, so it runs even if the key is off (this will change very soon, though). It was purchased like this, and many of you probably know it (pic included).

After a while, I touched everything and all was cool to the hand (quad is in the garage with another fan blowing on it now). The only think I could think of to do was to either disconnect the batter or hook up to the charger. So, it's on the charger right now, fan still on.

I started it up, and checked the coolant lines to make sure I had flow, and it's good. I just can't seem to get the fan to shut off.....minus plan B (disconnect battery and rewire...later tonight).

Anyone have any ideas? I just want to make sure there's no serious issues I might be overlooking!

Thanks.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

What do you mean its directly wired?Do you mean such as stock?If so you probably have fried the fan driver.Yes it happens just like fuelpump driver.It is easy to just use a regular relay and FX 400 radiator temp sensor to run the fan when its supposed to run or just use a switch and relay.

Crazie

#3 Post by Crazie »

I'm not sure what "Stock" is, since I have two C'dales and they are both different. This one only has the key switch and start button. The fan will run if the key is off, so I'm guessing the stock "Run/off" button has been bypassed (or simply wired to always run).

When I have done this on quads in the past, I wired the "Run/off" switch to the key switch, so that when the key is off, nothing can run (i.e. no fan coming on). On this dale, however, the fan will remain on after the key is off (turning off when the temp is down).

Is this just a simple replacement of the fan? If so, I have the parts and it's not a problem. Any suggestions as to how it "Should" be wired? I'm planning on simply leaving the wiring as is, but having it only run if the key switch is "On". Is this a good method?

Crazie

#4 Post by Crazie »

Quick status update!

I wired the radiator fan to turn on when the lights are on. This is especially useful since I don't use the lights, and it kept me from having to put any extra switches in place. So now it will run whenever the quad is running, and I also have the ability to turn it on whenever I want without actually starting the quad (not sure if that will ever be useful though).

Please advise if this is not a good solution. As of right now, I'm riding tomorrow, so I needed a quick fix to last me about 3-4 hrs of ride time.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats sounds good to me.Have fun!