Oil Filters, Paper or Metal

Q&A about routine maintenance.
peterock

#21 Post by peterock »

I'll still honor it.

Link812

#22 Post by Link812 »

wow it has been a while since this forum has been posted on but i was wondering where i might be able to get oil filters for my moto. I just picked it up last night and dont have a clue about them. any help would be nice. thank you.

wistech

#23 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Sep 28 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going to settle this once and for all. If you have a correctly updated motor in good condition the difference is how often you change your oil. If you change it religously after about 10-12 hours or less ALL the time use the stainless filters, IF NOT or you are a lazy mechanic use the paper filter and save yourself the grief. Stainless was designed for racing engines that are monitored very closely. Look into the pleats of your filter on the next change.........most people will use paper!!!

Kdeal hit the nail on the head. I ran out of paper filters back in 2005 and switched over to the stock stainless ones with magnets. Oil gets changed when in turns dark (not black). Never had a wear issue since. Ive had parts fail from overstressing(nitrous) or crap parts(WWE pistons) but nothing from wear. Never a cam lobe or crank pin.
I would also recomend using oil addatives with ZDDP .

Black widow and Boomer should have paper filters for those not up to date.