Oil Filters, Paper or Metal

Q&A about routine maintenance.
Kuma

#1 Post by Kuma »

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the 2 types of filters we have available?

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

Paper filters to a much smaller micron level. Stainless Scott's is reuseable, therefore cheaper (in filter cost) over time. Brad told me one time what his paper filters filtered down to, it was much lower than what Scott's advertises.

I had a friend of mine (who used to test filters at Purolator) take a look at one of Brad's filters, he said it was made very well.

Lots of people like the stainless filters because they are cleanable.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

The Scotts filter is 35 micron, and better filtering than the early Cannondale Stainless filter. The Cannondale EMGO paper filter is said to be 10 micron. I sell those, and so does Blackwidow and ATK. It is the ONLY paper cartridge filter for a Cannondale.

A stainless filter works the same when hot or cold, while a paper filter will pass more contaminants with cold oil compared to a same-micron metal SS filter -- but that's a non-issue in our machines, since the paper filter is a finer micron size. But in our machines, the Scotts filter would be less restrictive. For motor break-ins periods at least, I would think a paper filter should be used.

Anyway, we can probably go round and round about the pros and con comparisons. Back when we were all getting ripped-off with $15.95, then $11.95, and then $10.95 paper oil filters, this was a common subject to debate. But now that paper filters are $5-ish, and the Scotts stainless is still $70, I think the pendulum has swung back to favoring the paper filter now. Nothing is faster and easier than throwing away a spent paper cartridge, and you get two new seals that are pre-attached to the next one.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I agree. Convenience of paper easily justifies its cost. If you just dont have the $ then add a magnet to the stainless filter for a real good combo.

Kuma

#5 Post by Kuma »

How can you tell the difference between a Scotts and a Cannondale metal filter?
I have a metal filter that came with the quad (purchased used), right now I have a paper element in during motor break in, I'm planning to change oil and put in another paper for continued break in time, after that, if what I have is a Scotts then possibly if it is good. A less restrictive filter means better oil pressure to the motor. On the other hand is less clean oil better than more dirty oil? Seems like that is the question now.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

A big argument back in the day was the fact that paper filters out the engine sludge where the metal doesn't. However, I have no experience with metal filters or assembling or disassembling a motor to know if that statement is true. It makes sense to me though. I have just stuck with the paper filters.

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

I am going to settle this once and for all. If you have a correctly updated motor in good condition the difference is how often you change your oil. If you change it religously after about 10-12 hours or less ALL the time use the stainless filters, IF NOT or you are a lazy mechanic use the paper filter and save yourself the grief. Stainless was designed for racing engines that are monitored very closely. Look into the pleats of your filter on the next change.........most people will use paper!!!

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

Who wants to change oil every 10 or 12 hours? Before the group ride, I couldn't remember the last time I changed my oil. When I drained it, it still looked decent.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Jess,

Stick to paper..... laugh.gif

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

Always have, always will.