Stator Woes

Q&A about routine maintenance.
quadracer500

#11 Post by quadracer500 »

Did you try a coil ? Mine did something similar and had spark but not enough to fire in the cylinder ,replaced the coil and viola fixed. Also
if the battery is fully charged they will run without the stator i have done it .

Crazie

#12 Post by Crazie »

First and foremost....THANK YOU! to everyone who responded. I can't say how much I appreciate all the help. I did try every idea mentioned, but alas....they all had the same result...nothing.

Good news though, she is up and running again. The fix was the most simple thing under the circumstances. I'm going to add pics to clear up things, but basically the flywheels I have don't have the timing marks in the same location as the one I pulled of the quad.

I cleaned up the "Shaved" one, and put it back in to test fire, and it fired right up!!! I didn't let it run for more than three seconds though.

Now my question is, can I run this flywheel like it is, or do I need to worry about balancing issues due to the material that was removed by the stator bolts???

Either way, how can I get a replacement that I know will work? Thanks again, and let the pics tell more of the story!

Here is all four flywheels lined up....the working one is on the bottom of the pile.
[attachment=7648:Lined_up.jpg]

Second pic is a close up of the working one (the one that had the stator bolts shave it a bit)....this was BEFORE I cleaned it.
[attachment=7649:shaved.jpg]

UpsMan

#13 Post by UpsMan »

So all of your spare flywheels have spun? I hope you didn't get ripped off buying them thinking they were good. I write "spun" on mine when they are junk, but I save them in case someone ever figures out how to fix them.

Crazie

#14 Post by Crazie »

I certainly wasn't ripped off. These all came with the quad, probably kept for the same reason you mention. The strange thing is, two of them are identical, and the "C" matches the notch (I haven't tried those yet). I think I'll try one of those (the other is cracked) tonight to see if one them lights up. I just noticed that they have the timing marks in different places than the one I pulled from the quad. Maybe the one that works right now spun ever so slightly and that's why they look different??

Is there an obvious way to tell a flywheel has spun? From looking at all three of them, only one has a crack, but the others seem fine on the exterior.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

If it runs keep it for a spare and go buy a balanced new one from Caniboomer.But first thing EVERYONE with running motors should do is grab a marker or something sharp and make some lines from inner hub to aluminum then there will be no guessing if it is spun.Then throw away the spun ones.I am afraid to buy a flywheel used cause it is impossible to tell if its been spun unless it happens to stop spinning way off.

Crazie

#16 Post by Crazie »

Well, I have the new flywheel coming. After close examination, I do have one that will work. However, it seems like it's pitted inside. I need to run it through a serious cleaning to find out if it's pitted or just dirty. If it's just dirty, I'll try it out and then I'll have possibly two "Emergency" spares that I can use. If it's pitted, it joins the rest in the garbage...lol.

Thanks for all the help guys!

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

Hah I knew the flywheel was bad. OK it was a good guess. Pesky flywheels.

Crazie

#18 Post by Crazie »

Yeah...unfortunately, I didn't know what they were supposed to look like until after I found the issue...lol.

It's OK. I don't mind learnin' a few things! Just sucks that I missed a whole weekend of riding my baby when I had one that worked on hand.